Outside drain problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Move if not appropriate here.

20170411_140934.jpg 20170411_140953.jpg
The drain in the first image is blocked. Solid. It ain't shifting. Trouble is pretty much everything drains into this except the washer and toilet. I have a plumber coming to connect everything into the stack tomorrow. In the mean time I've been trying to unblock it with an assortment of items without actually knowing the geography of one of these clay drains. I understand these drains have a trap. I think i can feel one when I'm poking around in there. Any ideas how to unblock it? I've no idea how it got blocked it was when we moved in. It stinks.

Also the hole next to the blocked drain is the water meter. Is this an issue that it's full of filthy water? When we moved in there was a little water in the bottom but the drain has obviously over spilt into it.

Sponsored Links
You certainly cannot read the meter when its full of dirty water.

Could indicate a serious drain fault under the surface.

Have you opened the manhole yet?

You probably have a pipe from there to the blocked drain and might be able to clear it with rods.

There will usually be a "U" shaped bend forming the water trap.

Have you put your hand down to ensure that it is clear and to feel the outlet?

There should be a grille over the drain to stop dirt getting in. I see it is removed but best left in place all the time except when cleaning.

Looks like it needs a cement seal at the back where it meets the house wall.

Tony

Possibly full of fat/congealed soap. Have you tried a rod with a 6" rubber plunger on the end? A few sharp plunges may shift the problem, if its fat or soap.

If that doesn't work, then as Tony says, lift the manhole cover, and see if there is a connection to it from the gulley. If so, worth rodding up from MH to see if you hit anything. I really wouldn't want to go digging around in that gulley pot until you know what might be in there. Shards or glass or needles will go straight through rubber gloves.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a plumber here today (he did all the work in the house when we bought it) and he's managed to free it up! According to the missus he just used the things I'd been using (stiff wire, bent rad bracket) and it suddenly went. He's also emptied the water meter hole. Though I understand the water meter is one of these that can be read from the roadside, I'm not sure they're designed to be continuously submerged!

I had a set of drain rods at the old house but left them there as I didnt think I'd need them!

Sponsored Links
Sometimes just a case of poking a hole through the obstruction, then the standing water will clear it. Glad you're sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back