Outside light wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i currently have a switch in my kitchen, controlling my lights, it is a1gang 2way, as i have another switch in the room too. Is there any way to take a feed off the one nearest my door, for an outside light(preferably with a double switch)??? Have tried playing about with different switch combinations and i can get the outside light to come on when i switch the kitchen lights off (by wiring the outside light into the existing single switch) I may just be a fool for thinking i can do this??? :) Thanks in advance :confused:

Sponsored Links
You clearly have no idea what you are doing.

Does your lightswitch have a bunch of blue or black wires in a bit of terminal block behind the switch (not connected to the switchplate)?

Even beter, photos will help us!

Don't go any further. You don't have a neutral present.
I guess you've connected across the switch?

Call an electrician, it'll be much safer for you and your family.

Behind my switch i have a brown into the common and black and grey going to L1 and L2, just wondered if there was any way to change this to a double switch. Have a feeling i cant! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Behind my switch i have a brown into the common and black and grey going to L1 and L2, just wondered if there was any way to change this to a double switch. Have a feeling i cant! :oops:
You're right. Sorry.

You need a neutral. You dont have one. All 3 of those cores are lives.

I didnt connect anything to earth, just put 1 wire into L2 and one into L1, but think i may have worked as it is 2 way!?!?!?

I didnt connect anything to earth, just put 1 wire into L2 and one into L1, but think i may have worked as it is 2 way!?!?!?
I think there is a combination that would put the outside light in SERIES with the indoor light, but neither would have been very bright.

Ban, you're gonna wear that link out.

I think there is a combination that would put the outside light in SERIES with the indoor light, but neither would have been very bright.

That's what I was thinking, routing back through the kitchen lamp and to neutral but as you say, they wouldn't be very bright, nor correct!

how much do you think it would cost to get an electrician to put an outside light for me?, before i burn my new house down!

3 quotes, choose the middle one. It all depends on where the electrician gets a supply from, how far to chase it, whether an RCD is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back