Outside lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright guys

Just after some general advice including part p regs :rolleyes:

I have an existing light on the front porch connected to switch in hallway. Missus wanted two wall lights instead - simply i'm wanting to remove existing light, drop in junction box, two short runs of T&E to the new wall lights either side of the front door (25w each)! Drilling through walls not an option.

As far as part p goes as of April 2013 i'm allowed to f**k up my outside electrics to my hearts delight with notifying anyone? Have I got this right?

Ta muchly

Sponsored Links
You can do what you what, but it still needs to comply with the regs, just because it doesn't need to be notified doesn't mean the requirements for the work have changed.

The junction box must be maintenance free/accessible and cables buried in walls must be in safe zones

Hey Iggifer

Thanks for reply, don't get me wrong i'm not wanting to do a crap job and disregard the regs, just wanted to check if notification was needed and if the principle of the idea was technically sound.

What would the regs be if cables were to run from lights up the wall and then under and across the porch to the junction box, approx a 1m run - is T&E ok, conduit required, HiTuf? Is running the cable on the external wall within regs? Tried looking at the regs but it's a bit of a maze.

Nothing wrong with running cable along the wall outside, but it must be suitable for the environment, which T+E is not.

HiTuff or similar would work just clipped direct to the wall, dependant on the wall lights you could use SWA but it is a bit meatier and harder to terminate, and of course you could use conduit but then it's a case of finishing both ends suitably.

I would go with HiTuff/NYY-J in your situation, then you could just take it all the way back to your JB

Sponsored Links
Just after some general advice including part p regs :rolleyes:

As far as part p goes as of April 2013 i'm allowed to f**k up my outside electrics to my hearts delight with notifying anyone? Have I got this right?
No.

Depending on what you are doing it may well not be notifiable, but f**king it up is never allowed.

Thanks for that - i think i established f**king up my electrics wasn't my intention!!! I was been sarcastic - which in fairness this forum doesn't appear to be the best place for it.

I assume if no drilling is taking place that the junction box will be outside?
If so, they will require suitable IP rating for the location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back