outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add two outside lights which run from the existing outside light. I would like to use the existing light switch, is this possible? :rolleyes:

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. Use uv proof cable or conduit. Also this comes under notifiable work. Meaning you need to inform your local council before you start work and pay them to do the inspection afterwards.

Only when the cable is run outside.

If the lights fit to the walls and practically no cable is 'outside' and you run your cable internally (inside eves, soffit, skirting, under floor) then it would be a minor addition to an existing circuit.

Thus no need to notify.

Set up would be:-
Existing light / light switch then run a cable between the existing light and the 1st new one, then from the 1st new one to the 2nd new one.

You should also audit the circuit use by adding up the total consumption in watts of all lights. Then add in the old and new external lights and make sure the whole lot are under the fuse rating on the board.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Use uv proof cable or conduit. Also this comes under notifiable work. Meaning you need to inform your local council before you start work and pay them to do the inspection afterwards.

What does the wholesaler or DIY shed give you when you walk in and ask for "UV Proof Cable Please"?

What does the wholesaler or DIY shed give you when you walk in and ask for "UV Proof Cable Please"?
Black I would hope. Same with plastic conduit.
This is why bin bags are not black so they will degrade in sun. Oh maybe not???????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back