Outside Lights

If it were literally 'upwards into the sky', I would totally agree. However, if the situation is anything like that in the photo in post #6, then it looks as if relatively little energy is being wasted, and little light pollution caused - since most of the light (upwards and downwards is illuminating the wall, and reflecting into the surrounding area where illumination is presumable desired).

Kind Regards, John

Unless the optics are extremely good (they won't be) there will still be a lot of light shining directly to the sky. Even if there wasn't, why do you want to light up the underside of your soffits? Yes it does look OK I suppose, but not good enough to warrant the light pollution it will create. All my opinion, as said before everyone's taste is different.

Sponsored Links
Unless the optics are extremely good (they won't be) there will still be a lot of light shining directly to the sky. Even if there wasn't, why do you want to light up the underside of your soffits? Yes it does look OK I suppose, but not good enough to warrant the light pollution it will create. All my opinion, as said before everyone's taste is different.
As you say, a lot of this is personal opinion and taste, but the point is that I wouldn't attempt to impose my personal opinion and taste on others.

As for the details, it's all a matter of degree. Some light will obviously be 'lost', but that's inevitable with any arrangement of lights. If that photo is anything to go by, the size of the illuminated bit of ground below suggests that not a vast amount will be lost 'into the sky'. As I said, a fair bit of the upward light will be reflected into the area one is trying to illuminate, so I suppose I could mirror your "why do you want to light up the underside of your soffits?" with "why to you want to light up the underside of the ceiling (and the walls) of your room?".

If I want to read indoors, I dare say I could save some energy by using a very low power narrow-angle spotlight illuminating my book or newspaper, and not 'waste energy' illuminating ceiling, walls, carpet and furniture.

However, I repeat that the only reason I'm saying any of this is that I don't personally believe in imposing my opinions and tastes on others.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back