Replacing old Fluorescent Lights with LED batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our kitchen, we have two fluorescent lights, each with a plastic diffuser.

We are looking to replace these and have been advised that LED Batten lights are now 'the way to go'

something like ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-TAC-Fitt...ocphy=1006956&hvtargid=pla-536532345316&psc=1

Are these good and is it simply a case of removing the old ceiling-mounted light fittings and wiring up these instead.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Should'nt be any issues, you are just replacing like for like. as long as your wiring is'nt ancient remove the old fitting and install the new one

The connection to the old light will be live and neutral and earth. The new light does not appear to need an earth connection. The earth connections from the ceiling will need to be connected together in a separate terminal.

You’ll need to decide what length/ lumens you want.

Should'nt be any issues, you are just replacing like for like. as long as your wiring is'nt ancient remove the old fitting and install the new one

Thanks .. I'll not be installing the lights, a friend is an electrician, so he'll be doing it.

Sponsored Links
The issue you may find with them style lights is that the cable may enter at the end of the fitting or even be prewired to the light again at one end.
Therefore if your existing wiring accesses the old light in the centre, it may be an issue to connect the fitting neatly.
Though most of the time theres a way round it, just a bit more work involved

You might be better off getting fittings with a rear entry...ooh matron... as rocky points out some come prewired

I'd recommend these fittings:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLBATC4.html

Fitted a few of them recently, it's a standard batten body so will retrofit fluorescent fittings no problem, they look nice and you have a choice of colour temperature's to suit the clients personal preference.

But they are only 22w to replace a 36w florescent fitting. The lumens per watt is around the same so you will have a dim kitchen.

But they are only 22w to replace a 36w florescent fitting. The lumens per watt is around the same so you will have a dim kitchen.

Whilst I don't disagree with you I tend to find that in most cases the fluorescent batten being replaced is decades old, the diffuser (where fitted) is caked in dirt and grime and the lamp is at the end of it's life too if not already failed which is why I'm usually there, so all those factors combined the fitting isn't outputting anywhere near the light level it would have originally. So when an LED replacement is fitted generally the kitchen/room is lit much better than before. Of course if I feel the room needs a higher lumen LED fitting then I'll select whatever is appropriate.

I replaced my kitchen light with an LED panel.
Its actually 9mm thick but slides into a metal frame that you fit to the ceiling so is maybe 25/30mm deep?
Fantastic light levels, if anything a bit bright, My fault .

I am doing a similar job - replacing two old 6FT 58W fluorescent lights with LED battens.

@dannyboi2003 I like your suggestion above as it seems the easiest swap out for a DIYer in terms of cable entry point and dealing with an earth cable. I was reading here that 22W is a replacement for the 58W old tubes, but wondering if a drop from 6FT to 4FT would be too much. Have you used any of the longer ones on that site? I can't tell if the wire fittings are the same
Also, the current setup has two fluorescent lights controlled off one switch. Can these be installed in the same manner?

Last edited:
I am doing a similar job - replacing two old 6FT 58W fluorescent lights with LED battens.

@dannyboi2003 I like your suggestion above as it seems the easiest swap out for a DIYer in terms of cable entry point and dealing with an earth cable. I was reading here that 22W is a replacement for the 58W old tubes, but wondering if a drop from 6FT to 4FT would be too much. Have you used any of the longer ones on that site? I can't tell if the wire fittings are the same
Also, the current setup has two fluorescent lights controlled off one switch. Can these be installed in the same manner?
58 w tubes are 5 ft not 6. A 22w replacement will give about half the light of a 58w florescent. Dropping to 4 ft even less. LED tubes are similar lumens per watt as florescent.

58 w tubes are 5 ft not 6. A 22w replacement will give about half the light of a 58w florescent. Dropping to 4 ft even less. LED tubes are similar lumens per watt as florescent.
That is very helpful. The kitchen is pretty bright so I wouldn't mind a small drop in light, but sounds like the 4FT 22W might be too much of a drop. Perhaps the 5FT would be better - I just want to make sure the wiring is going to be as easy as the one @dannyboi2003 suggested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back