1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing old Fluorescent Lights with LED batten

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by wbmkk, 6 Jul 2021.

1. wbmkk

wbmkk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In our kitchen, we have two fluorescent lights, each with a plastic diffuser.

We are looking to replace these and have been advised that LED Batten lights are now 'the way to go'

something like ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-TAC-Fitt...ocphy=1006956&hvtargid=pla-536532345316&psc=1

Are these good and is it simply a case of removing the old ceiling-mounted light fittings and wiring up these instead.

thank you

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oldspark

oldspark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Should'nt be any issues, you are just replacing like for like. as long as your wiring is'nt ancient remove the old fitting and install the new one

4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The connection to the old light will be live and neutral and earth. The new light does not appear to need an earth connection. The earth connections from the ceiling will need to be connected together in a separate terminal.

You’ll need to decide what length/ lumens you want.

5. wbmkk

wbmkk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks .. I'll not be installing the lights, a friend is an electrician, so he'll be doing it.

6. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The issue you may find with them style lights is that the cable may enter at the end of the fitting or even be prewired to the light again at one end.
    Therefore if your existing wiring accesses the old light in the centre, it may be an issue to connect the fitting neatly.
    Though most of the time theres a way round it, just a bit more work involved

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. crystal ball

crystal ball

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You might be better off getting fittings with a rear entry...ooh matron... as rocky points out some come prewired

9. dannyboi2003

dannyboi2003

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd recommend these fittings:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLBATC4.html

Fitted a few of them recently, it's a standard batten body so will retrofit fluorescent fittings no problem, they look nice and you have a choice of colour temperature's to suit the clients personal preference.

10. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But they are only 22w to replace a 36w florescent fitting. The lumens per watt is around the same so you will have a dim kitchen.

11. dannyboi2003

dannyboi2003

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whilst I don't disagree with you I tend to find that in most cases the fluorescent batten being replaced is decades old, the diffuser (where fitted) is caked in dirt and grime and the lamp is at the end of it's life too if not already failed which is why I'm usually there, so all those factors combined the fitting isn't outputting anywhere near the light level it would have originally. So when an LED replacement is fitted generally the kitchen/room is lit much better than before. Of course if I feel the room needs a higher lumen LED fitting then I'll select whatever is appropriate.

12. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I replaced my kitchen light with an LED panel.
    Its actually 9mm thick but slides into a metal frame that you fit to the ceiling so is maybe 25/30mm deep?
    Fantastic light levels, if anything a bit bright, My fault .