1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Outside Socket

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by TonyManc, 8 Dec 2017.

1. TonyManc

TonyManc

Thanks Received:
    France
    Brief outline:

There is a length of armoured cable, on it's own mcb, that goes from the main consumer unit in the house, to a 'box' in the lounge. In the box in the lounge is an mcb, the cable is connected to it. There is a feed from the mcb which goes outside (still armoured cable) and feeds a double socket in the garden. All good so far.

I want to add an exterior socket in a different location, via the box in the lounge.
    I had planned to replace the box in the lounge with a small garage consumer unit with a couple of mcbs' in it but, I'm not sure if this is the way to proceed.
    Is there a better way to do this? Can I just connect in to the existing mcb in the box in the lounge, for example?

Any guidance/advice, gratefully received.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I don't know French wiring regulations and practice. Perhaps someone will be along who does.

Have you got a French wiring book?

• Like Like x 1
  4. And can you read it. But essentially, whilst you could add a garage consumer type unit to the lounge cupboard, do you have an RCD in the main consumer unit. If you don't, then you might be better off getting an outside IP rate socket with an RCD that can be plugged into a socket inside the house.

5. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can't see why you need a garage consumer unit. Do such things exist in France? I would just connect to the existing MCB. I believe you are allowed around 5 sockets per MCB in France.

6. IWalkLikeHimaMartian

IWalkLikeHimaMartian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    https://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/electrical-regs-france/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So what is a disjoncteur? What is a Hpi différentiel? What is so appalling about the idea of rings? They are a tried and successful method that has worked for many decades. FYI 15 amp sockets are used domestically in India, Nepal, Bhutan, and South Africa.

8. IWalkLikeHimaMartian

IWalkLikeHimaMartian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A breaker or MCB. I suspect the OP knows that.

https://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/interrupteur-differential-30ma-type-a-or-ac/
    I suspect the OP is also aware of the difference. But he/she can easily ask or google.
    Hpi defferential disjoncteur (high immunization) is self explanatory in the link.
    "The Hpi device is less prone to nusiance tripping due to external spikes & fluctuations of supply & therefore keeps the peas frozen)."

Also a very useful site.
    https://www.installation-renovation-electrique.com/interrupteur-differentiel-type-ou-type-ac/
    Use the google translate facility.

AFAIK, rings are only used in UK. The opinion was of the person I referred to. It is not my intention to discuss the merits of electrical norms in different countries. The OP is not in India, Nepal Bhutan or South Africa, so it is a bit irrelevant.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sponsored Links
  10. TonyManc

TonyManc

Thanks Received:
    France
    Thanks to all for the replies. I get the basics of what and how regarding French electrics in the home and, to be honest, once you get your head around it, it's really quite simple, and straight forward to do.
    With respect to all, it didn't really answer my question. The cable going from the mcb/disjoncteur to the socket outside, can I tap another feed into it for a cable to another exterior socket, i.e. Double the outfeed cables from the mcb or is that a no-no?
    Thanks in advance

11. Not best practice, but you can if you're desperate to. The caveat being that you don't overload the MCBs rating.

12. TonyManc

TonyManc

Thanks Received:
    France
    Thanks Doggit. Best practice would be nice. Are there any other options given what I have available to me? Is there such a thing as a dual mcb for example? (That may not make sense, but I know what I mean ;))

13. IWalkLikeHimaMartian

IWalkLikeHimaMartian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps some learned person can explain the difference between two sockets, in line, so to speak, and two sockets in a star configuration.
    As far as I can see, the two sockets in a star configuration is no less safe, or worst practice than the alternative.
    If the capacity for the cables exist in the MCB, I see little difference.

14. You can normally get small consumer units that take 2 breakers, but I'm not sure what's available to you over there.

15. IWalkLikeHimaMartian

IWalkLikeHimaMartian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have already established that is not necessary.

16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local