Powering outside light from socket in the house?

G

gcltd

Hi, I plan to install an outside light, on the other of the wall there is a single socket in the lounge.

Am I ok to get the power from this socket for the light (cable ran on the outside wall in a conduit)

Re a switch for the light, would I simply place a switch further up the wall and connect this through through the wall with the cable continuing up the outside to the outside light?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are going to run the light off the socket circuit then you need a fuse.

Assuming the socket is not already a spur and is already RCD protected (make sure you check these assumptions before proceeding) I would take a spur from the socket in 2.5mm T&E then wire that to a switched FCU which would both provide the fusing and provide the ability to turn the light off. I would fit a 3A fuse.

While I suppose you could run all the wiring outside I think it would be prefferable to keep the wiring from socket to FCU inside. That way you keep the number of penatrations between inside and outside to a minimum.

EDIT: I've just noticed that while your profile says you are from the UK you posted this in electrics outside the UK. The above advice assumes you will be installing this in the UK, if you are installing it somewhere other than the UK please tell us where.

Sponsored Links
Back