outside stop tap problem

21 Sep 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across a tool to shut outside stop tap. The stop tap is a severn trent make, and my normal stop tap tools dont fit. This one has a 6" diameter plastic top, with various slots around the edge for some kind of tool to grip? anyone with previous experience? anyone understand what i am on about? desperate dan.
Sponsored Links
If its the same type of stop tap as the one I have, there should be a plastic handle in the chamber with the tap.
If not, look under a neighbour's cover, and borrow/pinch theirs. If not, contact water co. for one.
Then its a case of pushing the tool in the top of the tap, and turning it.
Sponsored Links
triakl and error... but you can get a normal crutch tool to fit into one of the slots and turn it... was puzzled by the first one I saw, but they are ok... at least you can see whether it is ON or OFF. I have moved them with my hands, gripping the outer body and twisting like hell...
Thanks everyone, just one final thing, does the tap turn clockwise to close and anti clockwise to open as normal and is it full turns or does it just a half turn, as i dont want to force it beyond its limit. Thanks again.
no more than a quarter, if not an eigtht... the word ON will disappear and OFF will appear... easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local