1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Outside tap problem.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Block642, 28 Jan 2013.

1. Block642

Block642

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have an old outside tap that consists of a spur from the mains water pipe that is old black alkathine pipe. I want to get rid of it as we are knocking down the wall it was on to make a bigger area for turning the car round.

I have dug down to try and find where it connects to the mains pipe, but have been unsuccessful as it must connect under our steps. My plan had been to replace the equal tee connection with a straight connector, but this wont be possible now without digging up the steps.

Would it be ok to cut the pipe off and just put a stop end on it and bury it?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

2. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have you checked for connection at any other location, like kitchen sink, is under the floor accessible?
    ‘Dead legs’ Stagnation can occur where water is held in pipes, which are
    never used because the end fittings such as taps and other appliances have been removed. This can lead to contamination of your drinking water.
    So I would not recommend capping off, find the source from where the water is fed from.

3. Block642

Block642

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK. Thanks for your reply. More digging for me then!!

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local