Outside Tap Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replace my outside tap, but the screws wont budge. Have t ried a lot of brute force and WD40.

I have not come across this situation before, what's the best way to remove the screws but retain the holes in the wall so I can reuse them when I replace the tap?

Drill bit straight down the middle of the screw?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180421_193307.jpg
    20180421_193307.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
Can’t you just leave the body where it is and unscrew the tap head itself and replace that with the corresponding part from the new tap?

images upload

HOw about a big well fitting screwdriver with a square shank (or section of shank) that you can put a spanner or mole grips on to give additional leverage.
Also try a little tighten first, just 1/4 turn as this may help loosen the screw.

if that fails, sell your house and move to a new one where you can fit your new tap :)

BTW, Sods law says that once you get it off the new tap neither lines up with those screw hole or if it does the pipe is the wrong size to fit... lol

Sponsored Links
well fitting screwdriver

Agree. OP, are you using a number 2 Pozidriv and not a number 2 Phillips? It stills looks do-able TBH.

Failing that, grind a slot across the head with a Dremel and use a large slotted screwdriver.

Last resort, buy a 5 or 6mm left hand drill bit and drill with loads of pressure, but literally as slow as you can make the drill go. It will snag and undo it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back