Outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm wanting to install an outdoor tap at the front of our property. It's a terraced house so no way of running a hose from the back garden round to the front.

There's no bathroom at the front of the house so no easy source of water supply, however the water main comes in at the back far corner of our garage.

I've attached a picture of this, I have a few questions
- Is it ok to take the supply for the tap from here, if so- how do I go about doing it (i.e What will I need)
- It's quite a run from here to where I want the tap, what is best to use? Copper, PVC etc? We are going to be converting the garage later on so whatever I use needs to be suitable to run under a raised floor or through a wall.

Many Thanks for any help
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
Yes, you can run it from there. It will need a double check valve as soon after the branch tee as possible.

If it's a long run and your not too experienced then 15mm push fit PEX plastic will be easiest. If it's in an un-heated spaced then it needs to be properly clipped up off the floor and well insulated.

1. Buy enough 15mm HEP pipe and inserts
  2. Shut down the mains
  3. Remove the HEP straight coupler that's there - buy the demounting tools (22mm + 15mm) and learn how to use them
  4. Add in a reducing tee at that point - 22x15x22
  5. small piece of 15mm pipe then an isolation valve then a double check valve then a 15mm tee then run the pipe to where it's needed.
  6. Small piece of pipe runs from the tee downwards to a drain valve. Allows isolation and draining in the winter
  7. Use a push fit stop end and test the pipe run for leaks
  8. Drill through the wall where the tap needs to go
  9. Use an outside tap copper pipe with brass end plate
  10. Straight push fit coupler to join the plastic to that pipe

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
11. oh and then fit the tap with PTFE tape or threadlock

orrrrrrrr

Get someone in to fit it ;)

Yes I might consider getting someone in. Either way, at least I know it's possible and what's involved!

Everyone thinks Plumbing is easy... until it goes wrong... even us tradesmen often resort to swearing as a solution!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back