Oven connector loose earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had been getting small electric shocks from the oven. Thought perhaps a wire had gone inside. So we bought a new oven but we still keep getting electric shocks from the casing so clearly its our wiring. (the oven was old so no big deal).

I have had a quick look inside the oven connector. The load live, earth and neutral are in in the right place. The supply live and neutral in in the right place. There is a sheathed earth wire from the connector to the dry lining housing. The earth from the supply is hanging loose in the housing.

Do I just need to connect the earth from the supply to the oven connector?

Happy to get a qualified person in but if its just a matter of reconnecting a wire I'd rather do it myself.

The oven is on a dedicated ring and isolated by a fused switch in the kitchen and fused at the box as the house is new (10yrs old)

Any help welcome. See the picture.

//media.diynot.com/224000_223277_84502_96467846_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
thanks for your prompt reply! ,

No burning at all. I think the earth sheath is just a bit big and makes it look thin in the photo.

I don't want to cause any damage. Putting the earth back in will be no problem?

I have been looking on line and earth goes with earth etc etc. I was just suprised to find an earth wire to the housing, as I dont see these on other any pictures or videos on line. Just I keep the earth to the housing in the same whole as the earth from the supply then?

yes put the earths together.

I had a small concern that the RCD may trip, but you can't leave it like that.

Now you have a new oven there shouldn't be a problem, so connect it up.

Its good that the metal back box is earthed

Sponsored Links
thanks,

yes as soon as I took out the exisiting earth I could see where the other earth wire had snapped off. It had been screwed in too tight and eventualy the earth copper wire must have snapped.

Working fine now, no little electric shocks.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back