Oven Flex Outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have a new Ikea electric single oven & hob.
Wiring from CU is 6mm T & E to CCU with socket.
I've wired CCU to hob with 6mm T & E.
For the oven I've wired 2.5mm T & E from CCU to a 13 amp fused neon connection unit, then 2.5mm T & E to a 20 amp flex outlet. Oven is 13 amp, 2.4 Kw & requires hard wiring. It came with 1.5mm flex which I intend to wire into the flex outlet.
Any issues so far anyone? All advice welcome.
The next bit...
Due to using Ikea units, there is no void for services at the rear of the oven base cabinet so I've mounted the flex outlet in the space between the floor & the bottom of the unit. The bottom of the FO sits about 4 inches from the floor.
Is this acceptable (strict regulation or loose recommendation?) or does it need to be mounted higher up the wall?
I don't really want to cut a hole in the back panel of the unit but if it's necessary then it's no big deal to chisel out & move it higher.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That all seems fine.

However you haven't said the rating of mcb in cu or the hob.
If 32A and around 6kW then ok.

FCU near the floor is alright electrically but will make access in future difficult

With ikea units, rather than cut a hole, I usually cut about 6 inches off the top of the back board - still leaves enough to keep the unit square.

Hi.

Due to using Ikea units, there is no void for services at the rear of the oven base cabinet so I've mounted the flex outlet in the space between the floor & the bottom of the unit. The bottom of the FO sits about 4 inches from the floor.

OK if you mean it is mounted to the wall AND it is accessible for maintenance, eg of the floor panel of the unit can be removed easily.

Second reading. Confused by CCUs

CU to Cooker Control Unit (with socket)

Does cable then go to Cooker Connection Unit and then to hob and FCU?

Sponsored Links
It's wall mounted & will be accessible through the cut out at the bottom of the unit when fitted.
6mm straight to hob from CCU (by that I mean the big one with red switches & a socket, not being sarcastic but don't know how else to describe it!).
2.5mm straight to FCU from CCU.
Electrician will fit new CU shortly but on his hols. CU will comply to proper standards as should my work as he will check it before passing it.

Revised description.

6mm CU to Cooker switch
6mm cooker switch to hob
2.5 mm cooker switch to FCU
2.5mm FCU to FO

What you have proposed is likely OK. Most installations one can find fault with if one really looks. And an inspector could find fault if he wants.

1) Max length of 2.5mm cable from cooker box to FCU is 3 meters.
2) Can't use 4mm cable to hob unless there is a fuse in hob which is unlikely.
3) Any junction unless special maintenance free type will need access.

I think if you followed "EFLImpudence" diagram then the inspector would be rather pedantic to pull you on use of 4mm cable.

Although Part M regulations give heights for switches, sockets etc. Again since only required for maintenance to mount were convenient should not be a problem.

If the reason for asking is to ensure it passes inspection then best is to ask inspector. Most will allow anything which makes sense but if one wants to be a pain then normally there is something that can be found.

2) Can't use 4mm cable to hob unless there is a fuse in hob which is unlikely.
What's wrong with 4mm² cable protected by a 32A MCB (assumed clipped direct)? Sure, there is a reduction in cable size, but that's surely not an issue if the OPD rating is OK for the smaller cable?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back