Oven/hob wiring.. again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm sure this is a groundhog day question but I just need clarity on fitting a new electric oven and gas hob. The old elec oven/gas hob was fitted into usual cooker radial circuit from consumer unit to control (with switch) then to connector unit.
The kitchen units have been replaced and the connector unit is not now accessible and is hidden away but the existing cable from it is available to built in space.
I have a Zannusi deal from Wickes (http://www.wickes.co.uk/To-Order-Kitchens-Range/Kitchen-Appliance-Deals/pcat/kitchenoffers Conventional Oven / Gas Hob). The oven model is ZOP140X and is 1.85kW (not 0.79KW as on Wickes site) and hob ZGL640TX.
The oven had no power cable supplied and or fitted I can't find anything useful about it online, the hob has 13 amp sealed plug.
So, is this a hardwire oven and what should I do for the hob i.e. what is the way to wire these up bearing in mind I can't get to the connector unit but I do have the cable on the cooker circuit and I would want to use the control unit switch to turn oven on/off.

Phew . Grateful for any advice.
Ta , Mick

Sponsored Links
To protect the items you need the 13A fuse in the plug. Easy way is feed existing cable into a 13A socket and then plug in. This also means easy to remove for service.

Thanks for quick reply. Only the hob has a plug. The oven has no cable at all so can I put a plug on the oven too and have a double socket wired to connector unit?

What do the manufacturers instructions say that came with the oven?
and why has the connector unit/outlet plate become inaccessible?
All electrical accesories and joints must be easily accessible for inspection and testing! It's a requirement!
It's a ZOB140x
Spec
Electric Information
Electrical Connection Rating 1850
Current 13 A
Voltage 230 V
Frequency 50 Hz
So can be plugged in to socket outlet or connected to outlet plate or 13A FCU.
If no flex on the appliance I would suggest getting some
2.5mm 3 Core - Buytl Heat Resistant Cable
and a 13Amp plug top if your plugging in or one of the above connection units.

Sponsored Links
There were no fitting instructions, that's why I'm asking :)
Connector unit could be accessed by cutting out back of cupboard which is fair enough but rather leave as is. Why what do you advise?

I have editted my previous post with a little more info, but the accessory must be accessible can not be left hidden, it's a requirement BS7671:2008 (wiring regulations)

Thanks PrenticeBoyofDerry much appreciated; so wire a double socket from unit for both oven and hob it is.
Oh, and I WILL cut out an inspection panel !

A double socket outlet can be added to the circuit, look at the fuse/MCB rating of the circuit could be worth considering having it reduced if to big.
The other consideration would be the cable size between connection unit and double socket.
You can create a trap door at the back of the kitchen units, so to access the connection, so not leaving a big hole for things to fall behind the units.
Plus one other very important thing DIY electric in a kitchen are known as notifiable work read this link. Very Important!
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back