Oven temperature testing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Samsung oven but find that sometimes food seems to be undercooked so I bought an oven thermometer, one of those low cost circular metal glass fronted things which you just place in the oven.

According to the oven digital display, the oven heats up pretty quickly, but although the thermometer eventually reaches the correct temperature, it takes a lot longer to get there.

Problem is, I don't know if the oven displays the preset temperature before it's really reached it, which could explain the undercooked food, or is it the thermometer which is taking longer to show the actual temperature.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thermometer? Or can anyone recommend a better type?

Sponsored Links
Can you drop it in boiling water (if it's water resistant) and see how long it takes to react?.

Best bet is an electronic thermometer with a proper thermocouple. The more mass beteen sensor and surroundings the longer it takes to react.

I did think about dipping it in water, but not sure if it's waterproof, but I will try wrapping it in a polythene bag first.

have fitted many electric ovens/cookers and all i can really mention is the thermostat fascia settings/readout are only a a guide although some will cook perfectly and some under cook or over cook.

they dont make them like the use to :idea:

Sponsored Links
I have a new Samsung oven but find that sometimes food seems to be undercooked so I bought an oven thermometer, one of those low cost circular metal glass fronted things which you just place in the oven.

According to the oven digital display, the oven heats up pretty quickly, but although the thermometer eventually reaches the correct temperature, it takes a lot longer to get there.

Problem is, I don't know if the oven displays the preset temperature before it's really reached it, which could explain the undercooked food, or is it the thermometer which is taking longer to show the actual temperature.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thermometer? Or can anyone recommend a better type?
You have to adjust cooking times according to use, with the fan cooking ,times are reduced etc.

I have now tries a digital probe type thermometer which is supposed to be accurate to within 1 deg. Setting the fan oven at 170 the thermometer only reaches 160. Setting conventional oven at 200 the thermometer only reaches 180. Looks like a warranty call to Samsung for a new thermostat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back