What the expected temperature veration between shelfs in a fan oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tenant complaining the oven does not cook correctly, taking a lot longer than the food packages say. With the oven set 200c after the heating light has cycled a few times I measured the temperature, the top shelf gives 180 and the middle shelf 160, with the bottom shelf at 150. I have replaced the thermostat and the fan seems to be working OK.

It a Tricity Bendix SW553W

(They claim that oven is cooking a lot slower then it was 6 months ago, I wish I had data to know if it truly is.)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought the whole point of a fan oven was that the temperature is the same on all shelves.

look to see if the filter for the recirculating air is dirty or clogged with grease.

Look up the spec of the oven. Some have elements under the oven floor. Some have them in the back wall around the fan. Some have both. look at the instructions to see if/how you can set the cooking mode.

the top shelf gives 180 and the middle shelf 160, with the bottom shelf at 150.

you forgot to say what the oven control was set to, and how long it had been heating up.

It's not set to "grill" is it?

Sponsored Links
look to see if the filter for the recirculating air is dirty or clogged with grease.

Look up the spec of the oven. Some have elements under the oven floor. Some have them in the back wall around the fan. Some have both. look at the instructions to see if/how you can set the cooking mode.

It a very simple fun oven, with without a filter. The fan looks clean, there is one element that is round the fan.

Have you considered divulging the make and model?

you forgot to say what the oven control was set to, and how long it had been heating up.

It's not set to "grill" is it?

Sorry, it is the bottom oven so there is no grill setting etc - however just the sort of question I would be asking a tenant.

The oven was set to 200c.

Probably means the element that sits in front of the fan has failed.

Tenants can be stupid , check they know how an oven works .
How did you test temp , with door closed and a stat on each shelf and after waiting 15-20 mins to stabilise? Any other way won’t give accurate results .

How did you test temp , with door closed and a stat on each shelf and after waiting 15-20 mins to stabilise? Any other way won’t give accurate results .

I had the door closed, putting the stat on each shelf in turn, waiting about 15 minutes before reading it. I repeated this 2 times to check I was getting readings I trusted.

On my oven at home, on the middle shelf, the stat read about 20c over what I have the oven set to.

Probably means the element that sits in front of the fan has failed.

I can see it getting red hot, and the oven "heating light" next to the knob does go out and then back on as expected. Nearly always when elements fail, they totally fail.

Tenants can be stupid , check they know how an oven works .

That's way I got an oven thermostat to check what was going on. They claimed that they had no issues with the oven until a few months ago, since then they have just been using the top oven. They only told me about the problem as the turkey will not fit in the top oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back