Oven wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just bought a new built in oven, in the manual it states that a mains connection lead HO 5VV-F should be used. The friendly salesperson at the local electrical appliance shop just gave me a blank look when I asked about it. I have done a search on the net and it looks to me like it is probably a braided type reinforced lead. Just for now I have used the wire that came off the old unit, just ordinary 3 core, also it is wired into a 3 pin plug and double socket in one of the cupboards, this has been the arrangement since the kitchen was professionally fitted some years ago . Is this set up ok and safe to leave as it is or should I try and fit the recommended cable. It is just a basic fan assisted oven with grill, nothing fancy.
Any help would be most welcome, thanks a lot, Dave

Sponsored Links
we need to know the power of the oven

ovens less than 3KW can be connected to a normal socket and usually come with a lead to a plug

anything larger needs a dedicated cuircuit from the cu

if the oven is over 3KW can you get us a photo of your cu so we can see what brand and style we are dealing with as well as telling us the power of the oven

Hi, according to the plate on the oven it is a 2.8 kw unit, so that means it will be ok as is? Thanks for the help,
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back