Overflow leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that one of the overflow pipes that comes out of my first floor flat is constantly dripping. I first noticed it when my shower and sink got blocked-up recently and I assumed it was because of that.

I unblocked the shower and sink using a plunger (and brute force) and the water now drains from them fine but the dripping is still happening. Neither the shower or the taps in the bathroom sink drip. The kitchen sink taps are sound too. I turned off the taps leading to the washing machine too, incase it was leaking from the machine and I left them turned off for quite a few hours but it still dripped.

The last place I have left to check is the toilet. But I don't really know where to start.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like ur toilet cistern is overflowing
you need to at first open the top panel to the cistern, once done, take a look inside and note for any overflowing water. There are 2 major parts to a cistern, one is the water inlet valve and the other is the siphon. If there is a case of overflow, it is the inlet valve which needs attention. Lift the ball to see if water stops to flow, and if the water does stop, adjust the plastic screw on the arm connected to the ball to maintain a postion such that when water does refill, the ball/arm reaches a certain point and prohibits continuous flow of water.
Give it a try and let us know.

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a quick reply! Thanks :)

Right, I just took the top off the toilet cistern but I couldn't see any obvious overflow. There was what I think is the syphon (basically a tube just sticking up out of the water?). The water level was a good couple of cm below the top of the tube. The inlet valve didn't appear to be dripping either.

I pushed the ball down so the water went above the level of the syphon and then I checked the overflow pipe that sticks out of the side of the house and it was pouring out. Might that overflow be connected to something else or is it more likely to be exclusively used by the toilet? If so then it's definitely the toilet that's leaking but how do I found out where?

Any further ideas?

Thanks very much indeed :)

Sponsored Links
the overflow could be linked elsewhere but I guess its just a case of you following the pipe from out of the toilet to try and figure out where it heads next (if at all possible).

The siphon is the bulky part at the centre of the cistern that connects to the flush mechanism. The rod you are talking about that sits above the water level is the overflow pipe. So from what I can gather, the overflow pipe at the exterior of your home only leaks when you perform the test inside the cistern? Or is it leaking when the water level in the cistern is normal? Best thing would be to note for water overflow outside your property, rush inside and check the cistern for any signs of overflow.
I'd tighten up the screw head that is located on the arm which connects to the ball, it may even solve this sporadic problem of yours. Or, replace the full inlet valve, under a 5'er at screwfix. The scew if you are unsure is located just above the red part in this picture.

p1812512_x.jpg

Hmmm, not sure I'll be able to trace the external overflow back to the toilet but I'll have a go tonight...

The leak is continuously dripping at the moment from the external overflow (and it seems to be getting more frequent... ) so, it's leaking even when the water level in the cistern is normal.

What I don't get is that, given that the system doesn't seem to be overflowing, where else can the leak be coming from? If I tighten up the screw head as you suggested, what would that do? Would it stop some water getting to the overflow point by preventing the valve from dripping or would it have an effect elsewhere?

Thanks for your help :)

seems like the overflow is connected elsewhere so try and trace the pipe.
i dont suppose you have a fixed AC unit connected anywhere in the property?
what plumbing setup do you have at home? Do you a have a combi boiler, any hot/cold water tanks?
if the water is overflowing continuous with water levels normal in the cistern, i wouldnt interfere with the cistern and would look elsewhere for a possible fault.

Result! I fixed it :)

After a bit of tinkering around and much scratching of my head, I noticed that there was a split down the overflow pipe in the toilet cistern. Whichever government cowboy fitted the toilet in my ex-council property hacked a chunk out of the top of the overflow pipe to bring its level down. In doing so, they sawed a split part of the way down the pipe that was barely detectable. Basically the level of the water must have risen over time as the ball adjusted itself so that the water was seeping very slowly through this split. So, in the end I did as you suggested and adjusted the ball so the water level is below the split. Problem solved.

Very happy, many thanks for your help dynomo :)

TopJob said:
Result! I fixed it :)

After a bit of tinkering around and much scratching of my head, I noticed that there was a split down the overflow pipe in the toilet cistern. Whichever government cowboy fitted the toilet in my ex-council property hacked a chunk out of the top of the overflow pipe to bring its level down. In doing so, they sawed a split part of the way down the pipe that was barely detectable. Basically the level of the water must have risen over time as the ball adjusted itself so that the water was seeping very slowly through this split. So, in the end I did as you suggested and adjusted the ball so the water level is below the split. Problem solved.

Very happy, many thanks for your help dynomo :)

good man, well done.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back