Overflow pipe morning greeting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me what's wrong with our toilet? I want to have a go at fixing it myself but am not sure what's wrong. Each day, after it is flushed for the first time, water comes out of the overflow pipe. This doesn't seem to happen again until the next morning. Thanks, Jane

Sponsored Links
dripping ball cock.

Take the lid off and I bet you will find it has filled way above the proper level, when it has not been used for a while.

If it is dripping slowly, then it only reaches to overflow pipe at night, when it is not being flushed from time to time.

Have a look at the old valve, it is possible to re-washer them, but it is usially easier to fit a new one. You can unscrew the working parts from the part that comes through the side of the cistern. They only cost a few pounds. Measure the old one so you get one the same length (they vary). Also observe whether supply pipe comes in from the side or from the bottom.

They are variously known as ballcocks or as float valves

There is a more modern version which is smaller and quieter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back