overgrown neglected garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time post so would appreciate some advice.

Just bought a house with a neglected garden.

To the back I had 10 foot tall ivy which I have cut down and a mat of ivy just below what was once the lawn. After 3 rounds of glyphosphate much of the greenery is dying. I plan to leave over winter and then apply a further 2 rounds of glyphosphate to any growth before rotavating.

My main concern is:

Will glyphosphate kill roots of ivy\couchgrass which do not multiply after rotavating the soil?

I have also heard of triclopyr and brushwood killer, can this be used in conjunction with glyphosphate?

Just don't want to make matters worse by rotavating roots which reproduce.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
couch grass will be killed by glyphosate, ivy will be killed much better by brushwood killer.

most weedkillers are less effective at this time of year though.

It isn't clear what you aim to achieve. Are you intending to rotavate the entire garden, or just the area below (?) the lawn?

Why do you want to rotavate? Are you creating a new lawn? I rotavated my compacted lawn after several applications of glyphosate. I pulled out some very long birds foot trefoil roots.

In my experience it is worth rotavating a dead lawn if the ground is compacted, and then put down grass seed. Flower beds won't need it. For veg beds you can use the no dig approach.

Thanks for replies.

I am planning to rotavate the entire garden once weeks are killed/removed. It has been neglected for over 10 years. The soil structure is terrible and soil is compacted. Was hoping to rotavate after 6 applications of glyphosphate & brushwood killer. Maybe adding some sand to improve drainage/structure.

I have applied three rounds of treatment at the back end of summer and plan to repeat with any fresh growth in spring.

My concern is whether the roots become dead/inactive as I don't want to rota ate and multiply the problem.

Sponsored Links
Okay, then rotavating sounds like a good idea. I spread an inch of sand then rotavated, to improve drainage. I had a 'lawn' (moss and weeds) which became squelchy and with water pools after heavy rain. Now it drains normally.

Leaving it after killing weeds is a good idea as roots do regrow, and seeds germinate, and repeated applications will kill the new growth. Yes glyphosate kills simple weeds, but when they have established roots, some of the root can survive. There is not really much more you can do. I have some bindweed appearing in my lawn but I hand weed when I see it and apply Verdone once or twice a year. It looks really good, but not perfect. My neighbour who put down turf has weeds too. Removing all weeds is impossible, there will be seeds in the soil, and birds poop as they hop and fly over it. I supppose you could establish air superiority - think Battle of Britain - and down any bird that has the impertinence to infringe on your garden. But best not. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back