1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

dealing with a weedy overgrown garden

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Ouch77, 25 Jan 2019.

1. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No it's just a case of wanting it done effectively. The 'setting' (home, commercial or industrial) is irrelevant.

We used to live in a house with a gravel drive -- glyphosate stopped the many hundreds of weeds which sprung up weekly.

I'd argue it would be stupid to remove them all manually or with the branded on-shelf sprays and by no means lazy wanting it done in a targeted and effective manner.

2. HawkEye244

HawkEye244

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Of course it's not irrelevant.

Can you explain why ground cover which inhibits light and encourages weeds to germinate is not a more desirable option than spraying glyphosate that is a toxic carcinogen ?

3. sodthisforfun

sodthisforfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When are you going to address that covering the ground isn't as fool-proof as you seem to think? It simply doesn't work on all weeds, and certainly wouldn't work on cwhaley's gravel path.

4. HawkEye244

HawkEye244

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When am I going to address that covering ground cover doesn't work on all weeds ? What plant doesn't need light to grow ?

Why are you deliberately trying to confuse Whaley's hypothetical gravel path scenario with the OPs lawned garden scenario? Completely different scenarios that you seem desperate to merge.

5. sodthisforfun

sodthisforfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've already told you about dormant weeds that do not die off with ground cover or spread like mad when attempt to dig up.
    I'm not the one who says people are lazy if they use it, you are. I don't have a problem with select usage against difficult weeds.

Oh, and cwhaleys path wasn't hypothetical. Read again, he used to have one. Nobody is deliberately trying to confuse anything, I think you're the one who is confused. All he was doing was giving you an example where the chemical works best, nothing more.

6. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Getting to sound a bit like GD with all this slandering. Lets keep that stuff over on GD eh?

Regarding geotherm weed suppressing material, I have a meadow next to my back garden and the borders of this field were broad expanses of nettles, (about 2-3 metres deep and about 3' high when we moved in over 3 years ago). After asking permission from the farmer I cut the nettles down to ground level and covered them with double layers of weed suppressor. On top of this I laid lengths of artificial grass which we removed from my son in laws new home so he could lay a new 'living' lawn. It looked great!
    the following year the nettles were beginning to poke through the whole lot! Got talking to the farmer about it and he said, "Leave it to me, I'll send someone round." A few days later a tractor comes trundling across the meadow and a farm hand calls. He wanted to check what plants etc we had near the boundary before spraying a weed killer. Careful spraying at close quarters ensured none of our plants were affected. The weed killer was industrial glyphosphate. It's now been 2 years and we have had the odd one try to rear it's ugly head, (BTW, the weed suppressor and fake grass was removed before spraying so it was bare soil underneath), but we can now treat them with off the shelf killers and the border of the meadow running alongside our garden is lush grass.