Overhead door closers on uneven door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install one of these on a fire door
Eclipse 28730 Overhead Door Closer Silver | Overhead Closers | Screwfix.com

All the pictures I have seen, have flat architraves for the plate to screw to e.g.:
upload_2021-8-3_9-55-24.png

However, my architrave is like this:
upload_2021-8-3_9-56-8.png

Can they work with this arrangement and how do i go about fixing the foot of the closer to this architrave please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Agreed. What we normally do is just to notch out the architrave neatly. Alternatively it is possible to use a parallel arm solution with the body of the closer mounted on the "outside" of the door
07_04f61788-f5ac-4649-a2bd-690e96abbcb7_620x.jpg

and an accessory mounting plate which fixes to the door frame/casing/lining reveal. Some closers have complete arm system designed for parallelinstsllation which are neater and slimmer (but more expensive):
LCN-Parallel-Arm-4040XP-Closer-1024x632.jpg

In general these parallel solution plates are included in commercial door closer packs, but if buying from a "domestic" supplier they may need to be purchased separately

There are also sliding attachment systems where a slide us fitted in the head reveal and a single, non cranked arm is used, but these are often restricted to automatic closing doors (often held open on electro magnetic door holders, sometimes the mag is in the closer, though) and disabled toilets, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back