Overlaps visible when hanging paper

crj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When papering corners with the standard overlap technique I've found that thicker papers, especially textured vinyls leave a highly visible line where the bottom piece stops under the top one. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm asking as I've returned to a customer's house this morning to decorate another room only for them to ask if I could cut down the line with a blade and remove the excess pieces from each side on a particular external corner. :eek:

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I think your customer has answered the question for you.Don't leave too much of the paper underneath.Cut it back as far as you can, just leaving the bare minimum.I know you can do this on internal corners,but do you really overlap wallpaper on external corners too? Just asking........

Roughcaster.

Not usually, but this particular corner was all over the place in terms of squareness, there was no way to keep the next seam straight. The reason I didn't cut down with a blade when wet is I thought the seam wouldn't dry right and probably push together as the paste dried around the corner...

Itake it it wasnt a plain white then otherwise you could have cut it both pieces into the corner and gunned it with caulk

Sponsored Links
If only. It was a linen type texture in a "lovely" varied sand colour with occasional very light cream cross patterns. Reminded me of Noel Edmond's beard during the House Party years. Not entirely sure why, but there you go.

The only other thing I can think of to avoid this in the future would be to let the bottom piece dry then fill the edge down to the wall, let that dry, and then continue. Of course this would mean adding about 2 days so isn't really workable.

If you get this situation again id reccommend painting a line of emulsion that matches the paper down the corners first...that way if there are any mishaps they wont be noticeable

I always cut blown vinyls tight into the corner not just becasue if the thickness of the paper causing it to show but also if will lift a little after a short while because vinyl doesnt stick to itself.

Good advice. Thanks.

I've used border adhesive on this to make sure it doesn't come up so I think I should be alright as far as staying down is concerned. A lesson learned anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back