Overpainting B&Q 'teflon-containing' emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago I painted several internal walls with a B&Q matt emulsion containing Teflon (might have been called the "Lifestyles" range) to get a washable surface. It was a good enough paint, and fit for purpose. B&Q have since discontinued the range.

About 5 months ago I over-painted some of these walls with Crown Trade Matt emulsion (2 coats). I recently had to wash a smear off one of the walls, and found the paint washing off along with the smear! Yes, I had washed down the original paint surface with sugar soap solution and rinsed. Even a light wipe-over is enough to take the 'new' paint right off, leaving the teflon-containing surface below, which no amount of washing will remove! oh dear - I suppose that's what it was designed to do!

Is it going to be possible to get a decent finish over the 'teflon paint', would you say? I am resigned to having to wash off as much as I can of the last two coats and get back to the original 'teflon paint'. Am I going to need to give it a light sanding to key it perhaps? Or is there some other surface prep I should do?

Thanks for any tips

In passing, I wonder if this problem is why B&Q discontinued it: oh well.

Sponsored Links
Just seal with Bin, coverstain or guardz all made by zinsser or any of their products that seal rather than prime.

Sorry to be thick ....

Do I seal over the "new" paint (which washes off) or do I have to wash back to the 'teflon' paint and seal that?

Thanks

Yep seal over existing paint, i think guardz would be your best option as it hardens and binds down existing paint

oh and your not being thick!

Sponsored Links
dcdec, will guardz cover and seal over the top coats of paint even if it has not really attached well to the Teflon paint? Would you follow with an undercoat of oil or waterbased before the topcoat?

I had a client a while back who wanted some lamp stands repainted, same problem, coated with Teflon, they were not very big so I sanded down and used car spray in cans, worked well and client was happy.
Not sure this idea would be practical for a kitchen, but I did a job about 4 years ago on a rental flat where the agent asked for new kitchen doors but was not keen on big costings so I got all the doors taken off and resprayed by a friend who had a spray booth, worked great!

It should do as it penetrates and seals.

I'd just go over with desired emulsion as the guardz has done the priming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back