Override switch for water heater boost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a boost switch on my water cylinder's immersion heater, allowing me to put it on for just 30 mins or an hour. However I'd also like the flexibility to turn it on for longer with a normal switch (20A DP). Could I wire them like in this diagram?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Well it would work.

Those timers are designed to be fitted after a double pole switch really as they do not incorporate double pole isolation as required in the regs.

You could use a DP switch, then the timer, with a 20amp switch bridging the live.

However, far easier would be to use a timeguard timed FCU. This is a Fused Connection Unit combined with a time clock, advance/constant on/boost button and double pole switch.

Sponsored Links
It is normal to have a single switch isolation point and what you show could lead to problems where someone thinks it is isolated but it's not and the timer could cut in making it live even when proved dead.

It would be normal to have isolator and timer in series and for the timer to include an override button. In that way it will auto revert back to timed system after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back