Overwinter - MPDE on the surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at using black MPDE run the length of the garden to connect to an irrigation system. It will be teed into the feed for an existing outside tape, with an associated isolation valve and double check valve. It is not possible to bury the pipe for most of its length, so intend to drain over the winter. Although the pipe will run downhill (slightly), should I put a drain valve after the isolating valve to allow air in? Before or after the double check valve?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, the acronym is MDPE (medium density polyethylene).
I suggest you install your manual air admittance valve as close to the start of the run as possible, and be prepared to blow or use compressed air to evacuate the water over winter....double check valves with trapped water inside don't react well to freezing conditions.

Just opening the tap at the far end should be enough. I've got a similar setup at home and forgot to even do that this year. All was fine when I came to use it again in the Spring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back