Outside tap from washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to install an outside tap on our small outbuilding. I've done a bit of DIY plumbing but am no expert! There's already a washing machine out there, so there's a copper pipe coming from the kitchen terminating in an isolator that the washing machine hose screws into. I want to add a tee to feed both the washing machine and the outside tap.

My conclusion is that the best approach is to remove the existing isolator (pic attached) and replace with an appliance tee, then run 15mm JG pipe with a standalone with a double check valve and isolator to an elbow connector onto hoseplate union onto the new tap. Requirement for pipe inserts noted.

Does that sound viable? Also, because of the way the existing pipe runs the check valve will be lower than the tap which will allow me to isolate and drain during the winter.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 10.41.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 10.41.53.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
That sounds OK, but you can get easy to fit outdoor taps, which don't involve any plumbing. You don't even need to turn the water off to fit them. A clamp goes around your existing copper pipe, then you screw a self-cutting isolator into the clamp.

That sounds OK, but you can get easy to fit outdoor taps, which don't involve any plumbing. You don't even need to turn the water off to fit them. A clamp goes around your existing copper pipe, then you screw a self-cutting isolator into the clamp.
Awful things they are, cuts a very small hole in the pipe so the flow is restricted plus the "disc" removed can get stuck in the pipe.

Awful things they are, cuts a very small hole in the pipe so the flow is restricted plus the "disc" removed can get stuck in the pipe.

I agree, but I have two of those now and one fully plumbed in, I've not had any issues with any of them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - given the pipe to the washing machine is already there it isn't that much effort to just switch the isolator for a tee to get unrestricted flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back