Pad or Roller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to be the only person I know who prefers using pads to rollers for painting walls. I just think they're quicker to use and give a better finish.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Have I just been using crap rollers? If so, what is the best type?

Sponsored Links
Hi jim. Good point ! I hav'nt used pads for ages. Agree finish is good. Think I got fed up of washing em out and using a tray which is a bit awkward on, say, a stairwell. where I prefer a rollerbucket and pole. I just pick up a pack of roller refills from brewers/ hurst etc.

Your the first dekky who has owned up to using a pad...they never really caught on in the trade...allthough the smaller ones are very good for painting striaght lines.

OK, so do you dekkies use low tack tape to protect window frames, skirts, mantlepieces etc or are you skilled enough not to need it? How about a 'signwriter's rest'?

Sponsored Links
Well id like to think im skilled enough not to need it any shaking of the hand is normally cured by half a bottle of scotch at breakfast time...

But as for using masking tape in general...yeh why not...the only reason id use it though would be if it was quicker to mask something than to cut it in a few times.

If it was a door with a dozen panels of glass then I would take my time and paint it...masking and removing the masking would take a lot longer thancutting in the glass.

The big difference here is time...DIYers normally have a lot more time than painters...time is money to us so it has to be the quickest option

If im spraying them yes id mask because it would be quicker than washing the spray dust off or cutting it in with a brush three times.

Masking comes into its own when painting skings when the carpet is down...its a must..it avoids...getting fibres on the work...paint on the carpet...and transfering fibres back into the paint can.

Using a stick to cut in...(its called a muhl stick btw)...no way!..id look pretty stupid doing that on site plus I couldnt handle the p**s taking!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back