1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Paddle Mixer

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by OpenSpace, 13 Nov 2010.

1. OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys and ladies (if present),

I'm new to this forum and have been reading many of your posts...top job !

I am in the middle of an evening course learning plastering. I have now decided to purchase a paddle mixer to try and give myself a little more precious time to actually get on with the plastering.

As I am still Learning and not Earning I am not in a position to purchase anything like a Refina or Eibenstock. My budget is around the £100-£130 price bracket but I would still like to purchase the best/most reliable in that range.

What I would like to ask you good folk is, have any of you had any experience with any of the following (110v) paddle mixers ;

Berg,
    Evolution,
    Fox,
    Tecmix,
    Sencan <- so far I am quite interested with some of its specs

Thank you.

2. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you should be able to get a secondhand refina for that kind of money ive seen the d handle mm19/1 go for much less than a £100 on e bay and would be an ideal first mixer and would still have loads more lfe in it than the cheaper mixers, i think some of the boys here use the evolution here is the link to lasts weeks thread if you havent already read it http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=247155

3. OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply Steve.

Yes, I have already read that thread. Regarding second hand refinas, I've seen a couple recently but they are still fetching the best part of £200.

Also my thinking about buying second hand tools and their remaining life/reliablity is that they can be very hit and miss. Which is why I am more inclined to purchase a brand new budget mixer... with the manufacturers warranty I should at the very least get 12months out of it.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer advise/info about the Sencan mixer.

From specs that I have found on a Sencan 5340P, I believe it has ;
    2 speed gears,
    Variable speed control 'available' <- anyone know what this means ?

Steve, you ever had any dealing with Sencan mixers ?

4. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if a refina is fetching £200 secondhand its going to be the mm30 the dearest one there is, buying a cheap mixer with the thought of getting a year out of it is crazy, you will then have to buy another one after that and then another one, in this game you want the most reliable tools you can get, variable speed means you can slow and speed up the paddle, either with the trigger or a switch, no im sorry i havent had any dealings with sencan mixers, after using refina i wouldent use anything else but when i first started i used to use a bosch drill with a small paddle on, i still use that for mixing small amounts for patching ect.

5. bigbrother3269

bigbrother3269

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just to add another to your list-have you thought off Silverline?-i've been using thier mixer for 2 yrs now and cant fault it-gone through one set off bushes but thats it.In use constantly,2 speed box,varyiable speed control and makes the tea(no-thats the labourer sorry!),and comes with a 3 yr warranty.Silverline had a bit off a reputation a few yrs back but really got thier act together now.
    stu

6. keyplayer

keyplayer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes that is cheap if you was after a cheap mixer that would have to come into the equation, but big bro has said that hes gone through one set of brushes already, ive had my refina for 5 years now and a few months ago i took it apart to service it and noticed that the brushes were still good, and dont forget i bought it secondhand as well for £120 so it had some use b4 i had it

8. 1john

1john

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

10. 1john

1john

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's done some other work, but It primarily has to finish these two houses!

11. OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Steve, your obviously a big Refina fan.

I read the following quote somewhere (not on this site...I don't think),
    with your experience, just wondered if you would agree with the quote?

12. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lol no openspace thats completeley wrong, its the other way around eibenstock sell thier mixers to refina who import them from germany and are then rebranded as mega mixers, if you look on the side of a refina mega mixer where it has the model number it says made by eibenstock.

13. OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  14. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you cant go by e bay prices or suppliers for the true value heres another ebay link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/German-Plaste...em&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item414f106110, and also here is a link to the refina page http://www.refina.co.uk/mixing.php
    also http://www.refina.co.uk/webpdfs/Megamixers_2009.pdf and here is the link about the mixer lasting 18 years http://www.refina.co.uk/news.php i think if your missing something its that refina imports the mixer then rebrands and then charges their own price but they make no secret of the fact its an eibenstock, in fact they promote it as such because eibenstock are regarded as the best in the trade, here is a link to eibenstocks page http://www.eibenstock.com/index.php?shlink=1281

15. spc

spc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    get a bike cog on a stick. saves money on gym fees