Pain Killer-There's Nothing Stronger

S

Shutpa

For the past 2 years, because surgery is too risky an option, I've been taking a branded pain killer for gall stones. Yesterday, when the doc asked what I was now using, I said that I'd tried a few different brands but all in all found little difference in pain alleviation. "That's because they all use the same basic ingredients" he replied. To cut a long story short, I went out and bought 2 packs of paracetamol and 2 of ibuprofen in my local discount supermarket at 19p for a packet of 16 instead of £2+ for a packet of 12 of my branded painkiller. Perhaps it's a little too early to cast a judgement, but this morning, the pain relief seems to be just as good as the 10 times more expensive branded medication.

Sponsored Links
Well, yes. That's how it works - capitalism, that is, not pain relief.

I find paracetamol has no effect on me but aspirin and ibuprofen do.

The only thing that really counts in a drug is the active ingredient. If the active ingredient in a 20p pack of whatever says 50mg xyz and the £3.75 pack also says 50mg xyz then they are exactly the same. Everything else is flavouring, sugar coating etc.

It's like so-called 'double strength' pain killers. They aren't double strength at all. they're just double dose. So taking two of the standard tabs is exactly the same as taking one of the (more expensive) double strength tabs.

So the moral is ................ look at the ingredients. Blimey whatever next never would have thought of that.

Sponsored Links
I have always used aspirin for such things as headaches.
Then out came paracetamol and more recently the trendy ibuprofen, and people thought aspirin was a bit old hat so went with the new options.
Aspirin became less popular as people were told it can cause damage to the stomach lining. Paracetamol became less popular as people were told it can cause damage to the liver. I don't know what ibruprofen causes damage to, but I'm sure someone will think of something!
Personally, I find that aspirin has been of no detriment to my stomach lining, or anything else for that matter, and it works, so I continue to use it. One word of caution, though: I should not swallow them whole as I suspect a complete tablet sitting against the stomach wall could be detrimental. I always chew them first. Yes, some people say they don't taste nice, but it doesn't bother me. Another alternative would be to use dispersible aspirin.

You might wonder how people can be so stupid but look at the first comment down on JohhDs link - Susan from the UK. Presumably she's just read the article above but is still convinced that 'Nurofen Migraine Pain' is the only thing that works for her. A while ago somebody I know complained that he was spending a fortune on Zantac heart burn tablets. Apart from telling him he should get it sorted and taking the things will likely make it worse I also pointed out that he should buy a cheaper option. Oh no he says, Zantac is the only thing that works. Zantac Ranitidine 75mg 12 tabs @ Boots = £3.75. Ranitidine 75mg 12 tabs at Boots - right there next to the Zantac on the shelf!!! - £1.50. He still won't have it.

I normally use Nurofen for any headaches as they seem to work for me. However, I have always questioned their ads which offer different tablets for different pain.

I don't know what ibruprofen causes damage to, but I'm sure someone will think of something!

Short term use (even single doses for some users) can commonly cause gastrointestinal issues: indigestion (definitely this one for me), nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhoea. Prolonged use leads to increased risk of strokes or heart attacks and also reduced fertility in women.

I normally use Nurofen for any headaches as they seem to work for me. However, I have always questioned their ads which offer different tablets for different pain.
Squeaky, Nurofen 200mg costs £2.00 at Boots for 16 tablets. Ibuprofen 200mg is 35p. At Tesco they're 30p. Both exactly the same.

Non branded drugs are called generic. A lot of the cost of a new drug covers the high development costs. Generics are drugs for which the patent has lapsed. It's the same for hayfever tablets too.

Some companies specifically research cheaper ways to make generic drugs, further reducing the shop price.

I'm recovering from gastroenteritus, with loss of appetite, and aching, and I find a pint of beer provides excellent pain relief, rehydration, and energy. And Aldi sell quality beers at silly prices. :)

Non branded drugs are called generic. A lot of the cost of a new drug covers the high development costs.
Well, sort of - but we're not talking about new drugs, merely tarted up, fancy repackaging of the basic ingredient.

Generics are drugs for which the patent has lapsed.
Again, not really. It is the basic ingredient.

E.g. Aspirin - salicylic acid, found in plants (i.e. the willow and myrtle) has been used for thousands of years.
Indigestion pills - Aluminum Hydroxide and Magnesium Hydroxide - or you can use chalk.

Solpadol 30mg/500mg for my backache, works a treat. Get them on prescription.

Sponsored Links
Back