Paint Barge board. how to do it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a old bargeboard on my house roof line thats looking a bit old and battered with the paint peeling away. I would like to repaint.

how do i do this, is it a case of sanding fist then paint?

do i need a primer, undercoat then finish or is there a single type of paint i can use.

is there a specific type of paint thats used for this application. dont really know too much about painting so would like some advice.

regards

Sponsored Links
Photos would help
IMG_20211015_194934.jpg

Sponsored Links
They don't look that bad (I ahve worked on much worse ones).

I would start by sanding them back as much as possible- you do not need to sand the whole lot back to bare timber. Ideally you want to feather any existing paint and sand any weathered (grey) timber back to fresh wood. The cracks that run along the length of the timber are always problematic. If you use a rigid filler such as 2 pack "car filler" it will eventually be pushed out as the wood expands and contracts throughout the day. I would recommend an epoxy resin filler, but they are quite expensive. A cheaper option would be to rake out the cracks slightly, prime the whole area. Apply a lightweight filler such as Touret Redlight, sand, spot re-prime the filler and then undercoat the whole area with a couple of coats before glossing. Redlite is more flexible than two pack filler.If it does push out very slightly, hopefully the primer that you applied previously will protect the timber.

The plastic beading that meets the barge boards needs sealing. The cheapest option would be to use decorators' caulk. After smoothing with your finger, use a wet rag (regularly dipped in clean water) to remove any excess.

They don't look that bad (I ahve worked on much worse ones).

I would start by sanding them back as much as possible- you do not need to sand the whole lot back to bare timber. Ideally you want to feather any existing paint and sand any weathered (grey) timber back to fresh wood. The cracks that run along the length of the timber are always problematic. If you use a rigid filler such as 2 pack "car filler" it will eventually be pushed out as the wood expands and contracts throughout the day. I would recommend an epoxy resin filler, but they are quite expensive. A cheaper option would be to rake out the cracks slightly, prime the whole area. Apply a lightweight filler such as Touret Redlight, sand, spot re-prime the filler and then undercoat the whole area with a couple of coats before glossing. Redlite is more flexible than two pack filler.If it does push out very slightly, hopefully the primer that you applied previously will protect the timber.

The plastic beading that meets the barge boards needs sealing. The cheapest option would be to use decorators' caulk. After smoothing with your finger, use a wet rag (regularly dipped in clean water) to remove any excess.

What a star. Thanks bud

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back