Paint best suited for moisture affected rooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Have had problems with my bathroom for some time now with moisture affecting wallpaper as it has no window.
Looking to sell so am after an immediate fix, thought I would put panelling up half way up wall and paint however normal gloss always yellows on the skirting with the moisture. Does anyone know of a special paint you can get that will be more suited to these conditions? Was thinking of a boat type paint or something?
any help is much appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
put a timed extractor fan in and paint with bathroom paint the fans are cheap as chips however make sure you get a competent person to fit it i have extractors in my bathrooms and have them set to a 20 minute overrun i have never had any probs with either even the shower room which has no window

thanks for that but thats not the problem, I'm just after a paint suggestion as no matter what i try I still get yellowing on the glossed surfaces.
Anyone else suggest anything please?

Sponsored Links
Wall paper in a damp environment such as a bathroom is a really bad idea. International Yacht enamel will stay white for years but it’s expensive & even cheapo white gloss will not usually start to yellow in the first year or so unless it’s applied over stained wood without a suitable primer.

Covering it up with wood panelling & painting seems a rather tortured route to take for the sake of removing the wall paper & refinishing with suitable paint if your selling up. You don’t say if you have an extractor fan fitted but if not, I would be more concerned about any potential buyers/HIPS survey if you don’t have a window or extractor fan, it doesn’t comply with current (or even previous) Building Regulations.

I'm only after advice on paint mate and nothing else.
Property is already on the market with HIP and we have a modern extractor fan installed. Please no suggestions on anything other than paint thanks.
P.S The cheap gloss you suggest does go yellow as we have tried both expensive and the cheap gloss available in stores

its not a gamble mate its guaranteed if you apply it as directed and it yellows ring them and they will do a visit to your house however its not the proper solution to your prob you really need ventilation

chill guys,

the concensus over the years seems to be:

that moisture is NOT the cause of yellowing
that heat and lack of light IS the cause of yellowing
that ACRYLIC gloss IS the answer to yellowing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back