Paint splatters bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone help please.
I had a ‘cowboy’ painter paint my bathroom. He splattered paint all over, sink, bathroom, toilet. I have managed to remove the paint from the enamel sink with the aid of the good old white spirit; however iIt won’t budge from the plastic bath and will only scrape . That will take forever. Three types of paints were used ie water based primer, special bathroom paint for walls and Quick dry gloss for the door and skirting.

What else can I do?

Sponsored Links
Meths will soften waterbased paints but I cannot guarantee that it will not damage the bath.

That said, I have previously used both meths and isopropyl alcohol to clean bath edges before re-siliconing them.

Cellulose thinners melts water based paints much faster, but cannot be used with certain plastics (eg ABS because it melts the surface).

Thank you. I will use a little meth on the edge of the bath and see what I think.

You could try bio washing powder. Filling the bath with hot water and bio washing powder then leaving overnight. It should soften any paint enough to rub it off with any luck.

I know WD40 removes gloss paint from carpet!

Sponsored Links
I have wd40 and I might try a little area with that to see if it will soften it. As Quick dry paint is water based I thought it would be a breeze to remove but it’s a nightmare .

Not sure on your bath, but you can use a 'clay bar' to remove things like birds sh*te and tar spots from cars/caravans etc.

The bilt hamber one (ebay) can be used with water.

Good luck in whatever you use. (y)

Clay bar may be worth a try but as its a plastic bath it may mark the surface so that it will need a machine polish. You can get lots of chemicals to remove paint from cars but they also remove any clear coat so I wouldn't use it on a bath.

Have you asked the bath manufacturers?

Oh that’s a thought . It might dull the surface of the bath. It’s an old bath suite (pink) . I know, but it’s good size and quality and I don’t want to replace it.

If its pink it probably needs to be changed anyway :ROFLMAO:

I do believe pink bathroom suites are coming back in fashion

Btw I inherited it when the house was purchased 25 years ago. Pretty ghastly colour for a bath suite I admit, but it’s served me well. The new bathroom suites with their tiny toilets so low to the ground are like toys and I can’t afford a decent suite so I am stuck with it.

Didnt you complain to the painter in the stetson?

Personally, i think he did you a favour by splattering the pink bath with paint!

I did complain to him. He said it’s water based and will come off with a plastic scourer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back