Paint brand advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to be painting our hallway and stairway walls. I've been advised to get a trade-rated durable paint. There is quite a bit of price difference between Dulux easycare or supermatt and Johnstone trade durable matt. Are they all as good as each other?

Sponsored Links
You'll get plenty of different opinions on this, so it comes down to personal preference for the kind of finish you want.
I usually use Johnstone's paints.

You'll get plenty of different opinions on this, so it comes down to personal preference for the kind of finish you want.
Thanks - not fussed on the finish really, my mate just done his downstairs living room in Dulux and I can't tell the difference between ours and hbis living room and we used B&Qs own brand. Johnstones it is then as there is about 60 quid difference

Thanks - not fussed on the finish really, my mate just done his downstairs living room in Dulux and I can't tell the difference between ours and hbis living room and we used B&Qs own brand. Johnstones it is then as there is about 60 quid difference
There's a chemical difference between the paints in the way they are mixed. A mate o' mine's a chemist and tried to get it into my thick skull but drunk-chemistry wasn't half as much fun as drunk-history so i just go with what i can afford.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I’ve got a Dulux decorating centre and a Johnstones near to me - both are stupidly expensive, I don’t know if trade / account holders get a decent discount but the price is way too high.

Wickes stock Dulux and have a mixing centre but not sure if that’s retail or trade.

I get 15% trade discount at dulux (I don't use them because of cost) however maybe the nectar card 20% off is still running this month? So you would get a better discount than me.

Best durable for you would be the valspar trade tough mixed.
Cheap option off the shelf is the GoodHome colours that are also durable.

Just watch out for any durable emulsion going over filler or dry surface like contract emulsion.

Re dulux easycare (thixotropic paint)

It's cheap and fine if going over a sealed surface. Again it hates anything that will suck the moisture out the paint. It's why reviews are mixed.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back