Paint colour code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How safe is to buy paint based on the colour code? The exactly paint I need is Crown Trade Matt Vinyl Soft White 10B15. Can I blindly buy any 10B15 Matt Vinyl paint and get a good match with what is on the wall?

Sponsored Links
Availability, size, and price. If they are all the same, then no reason to pay more. I have ordered a tin of mix-on-order crown paint. The original was pre-mixed. Same colour coded paint from other brands are available locally, and quicker to get hold of.

The colour should be the same across all manufacturers.

It is a British Standard colour from the BS 4800/5252 specification.

If you are using it to touch in existing paint, the sheen levels may not be the same though, some matt paints are either more or less shiny than others.

Sponsored Links
The surface I need to touch up is small. So, it's not a problem painting the whole thing. Paint flashing is a problem generally. I am thinking of high grit sanding to blend the new patching with old paint. I haven't tried it yet to see if it makes a difference.

The surface I need to touch up is small. So, it's not a problem painting the whole thing. Paint flashing is a problem generally. I am thinking of high grit sanding to blend the new patching with old paint. I haven't tried it yet to see if it makes a difference.

I would advise against it. You risk "polishing" the wall and making the sanded area shiny.

10 B 15 is commonly known as garedenia

yes it will be the same whichever brand you use, however paint formulation, sheen level and application method will all influence perceived colour.

The mix-on-order paint arrived from scotland in a couple of days. I applied it and it's a perfect match. The area is in low light conditions and blending-in the new paint isn't needed.

If sanding can't be used for blending new paint to old, perhaps a mist coat on top could do something? Or, maybe sanding, then mist coat.

10 B 15 is commonly known as garedenia
I will always remember the colour codes for my last place of work - they were an 'aquired' taste.
The walls were 22B15.
All wood work, frames, doors etc. 02C37 :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back