Paint coming off wall in patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an issue where the paint is falling from the wall, mainly in about 3 areas of a chimney breast, there is dust on the floor below and in the patches there seems to be some salt crystals.

Images below this post (worked out how to upload)

The House has had a Chemical DPC (I know they are not great) around 6 years ago though the plaster doesn't look damp? but the chimney breast hasn't got any vent which I suspect may be the issue or at least it should have one right?
I was going to install an airbrick and replaster up to around 4ft as the paint seems fine above that. I've even considered blue bricks across the breast if it is damp, though I've never installed any before?
I just wanted some guidance as to whether that is likely the issue?

Other things to note is that whilst the plaster was left bare for over a year I did paint direct onto it with standard paint whereas in most the ground floor I used a contract paint as I know it's thinner though as it was left for so long I thought the plaster would have settled by then.

If there is a more appropriate forum to post this in please advise, I thought this or the plaster one may be able to help.
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Images

Attachments

• Wall Patch (1).jpg
    Wall Patch (1).jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Wall Patch (3).jpg
    Wall Patch (3).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 122
Looks like damp to me, the white crystals are salts being washed out of the plaster by the damp. Get a vent in the wall or even better get the chimney removed to below roof level if you don't ever use it, will stop the damp coming down the chimney for good.

Looks like you potentially did not use a mist coat before painting, might be a good idea to strip the paint off and start again, otherwise you will have a lot of patches to fill to get a smooth finish.

Thanks, I'll try the vent, and replaster above the bad area. I would imagine it's expensive to get the chimney breast it removed? I like the idea but we won't be in this house more than 3-4 years and I've just laid quite expensive tiles so don't want to buy anymore of those or lose any through the adjustment.
As for stripping paint do you just use stripper on the wall? I have a heat gun somewhere but I'm not sure that's meant for plaster?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't get rid of the chimney. Not seen a picture of your house, but it would put me off buying an older house with no functioning chimney - especially in the age where everybody wants wood burners.

I think you just need a vent.

The one in question is in the Kitchen, so probably the least desirable of the 3, only the front living room one is still open but I agree people would generally want the option to use the main one.

The one in question is in the Kitchen, so probably the least desirable of the 3, only the front living room one is still open but I agree people would generally want the option to use the main one.

I h ad the same issue - wish I had pictures to compare. The one in the kitchen had been boarded up and the whole wall painted in a nice neutral colour. It was a bit rough towards the bottom of the wall though and after investigation I found crumbly plaster and brick salts, where rain can come down the flue and sat. The solution for me was a hit and miss vent as already suggested. It's nice to have a feature wall in my opinion and they are supposed to be vented anyway.

You would only need to remove the chimney to just below roof height, probably about £800 including repair of roof after. But fair point about people wanting wood burners etc these days. I have used basic B&Q Paint and Varnish remover for pretty much the same job, paint it on, leave to bubble and scrape off and wash down after, works a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back