Paint problem on newly plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a problem with the paint on our newly re-plastered living room wall.

We've recently had the living room re-plastered, the walls were boarded over, skimmed and allowed to dry. I then put a mist coat of paint over the new plaster (watered down paint) followed by two coats of paint.

As each coat dried I noticed it was drying differently where the metal beading is on the chimney breast. Its as if there isn't enough plaster over the beading. I put a 3rd coat over the chimney breast but it looks awful.

(Paint is BnQ Colours Alep emulsion)..

P1.JPG
P3.jpg
P4.JPG
P5.JPG

Sponsored Links
If I have ever had a problem like that, I've given the areas a coat of acrylic or oil based undercoat and another emulsion and it usually does the job .

Mike

Im wondering if its a paint problem, or a plaster problem?

Its a retail paint, and maybe not up to the quality of a decent trade paint? Ive heard that Ostendorf now supply BnQ with their retail paint, and not Johnstons as it used to be. Maybe it just doesn't have the qualities to cover properly?

Attachments

• Alep.png
    Alep.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
Ive applied 2 coats of Zinnser BIN over the affected area, so hopefully this will hide the problem once I've given a few more coats of the BnQ paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back