Paint Filled Roller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I caught a programme on SKY advertising a paint roller that had an internal sealed compartment where one poured in the paint (about a litre) sealed the end and off we go..

The chap doing the demo spoke about the paint may need thinning in order to get the flow rate right and that a consistency of 4:1 was about right. He mentioned that Dulux paint (their runny stuff not gel etc) was about 3:1.

This left me with a few questions.

1. Has anyone actually used a piece of kit as I have described and if so what was their opinion of it.
2. What actually is meant by 3:1 and 4:1. Is it a measure of viscosity?
3. Does thinning the paint beyond what the manufacturer has produced create any detrimental effects on the finish.

Sponsored Links
if you do use a roller may i suggest that thingy from whatsitsname, that you put the roller on and stick it in your drill.

thingy is a technical term

1. Has anyone actually used a piece of kit as I have described and if so what was their opinion of it. No...but beleive me its DIY garbage

2. What actually is meant by 3:1 and 4:1. Is it a measure of viscosity?...yes in other words the paint will have to be pi***d out beyonf belief

3. Does thinning the paint beyond what the manufacturer has produced create any detrimental effects on the finish. Yes and it will also have a deterimentl effect on your arms having to paint things far more times because the thinned down paint hasnt covered.

Ask yourself this...do pro painters use them?...do pro brickies use those weird plastic things for applying mortar? do plumbers use far to much silicone and leave it smeared everywhere?

Well..two out of three aint bad!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I saw that advertised the other day, and it costs £29.95, but you can only put 1 litre of paint in at one time, so would imagine the first coat wouldnt be a problem, but your top coat would look patchy if you have to keep stopping halfway through to thin paint and fill up the cylinder, I wouldnt like to do a big ceiling with it. :rolleyes:

It's called the Paint Runner. I've often thought about getting it, but never bothered. Guess I stick to what I'm used to like most people. It's probably ok for small rooms, where you don't have to reload halfway through a wall or ceiling and leave finish lines.

Thats still £19.98 over priced!

Ive heard toys are us are doing a nice range of DIY tools these days too... :rolleyes:

They are just a gimmick, look and see what the professionals use and emulate. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back