Patches after rollering paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new to the forum and my first post.

I've begun the process of painting my house which was completely re-plastered over 6 months ago. I'm using Dulux Trade Matt watered down 20% for the mist coat. The problem I'm having is that after painting the ceiling white with 3/4 coats I can still see patchy areas (more noticeable under natural light). I've managed to overcome some areas by loading the roller with paint and applying thicker coats to the affected areas which have become less noticeable after a number of coats. On closer inspection of the areas the surface appears to be rough, even though the walls and ceilings were sanded and well wiped down beforehand.

I’m using a short pile Harris/Dulux trade roller, and followed the advice given on here by not overloading the roller with paint or applying too much pressure. I've also made sure that I was getting even coverage and not missing spots whilst applying each coat. Am I experiencing these problems because of the short pile roller? Talking to a friend he advises that he always uses a medium pile roller and Dulux Magic White for ceilings, is this worth a try?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this as I've started to become somewhat of a perfectionist and it's driving me nuts!

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, firstly primer should be used to make a base for colors then 2-3 coats will be sufficient for desired color contrast and perfection.

Bob.
Welcome to the forum.

Your problem is not uncommon, your paint choice is good, your approach to misting is correct, but your choice of roller sleeve is not.

Short pile sleeves dont hold enough product for this type of work so get yourself a medium pile, what tends to happen is, the former sleeves will tend to drag on the surface and the user will try and over compensate for this by applying to much paint. Hence the rough areas, when rolling avoid working in any one direction and use a crisscross technique, when your sleeve is almost void of paint and working in one direction lightly go over it and remove the roller from the substrate when it is still turning.

The rough areas will need sanding back fiirst any further application will only enhance your them.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I purchased a Hamilton Microfibre medium roller today. Just applied the first coat and it's looks to be going on fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back