Roller Marks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. I've had my hall stairs and landing skimmed, over Artex and once it dried sealed it with a thinned coat of Dulux Supermatt. Next a coat of Dulux Matt Natural Calico and up to here no problems. Doing a second and final coat of Matt, the finished result looks fine on small areas or when looking directly at the walls. But some larger areas, especially those which catch the light at an angle, show darker roller marks when viewed from an angle. I've been using a Harris short pile roller and have tried different methods and even a long pile roller but they all show similar marks to some extent. Any suggestions and what am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Use an Emulsion Paint Brush.

0287944_s.jpg

Just leave it for a week or two. It'll settle down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bosswhite and joe-90. I'll try both ideas as I've no time limit. Any recommendations for an emulsion brush and hints on use would be good as I've never used one for large areas.

check if the wall is smooth. it can be the shadow of uneven surface.
rub down the wall with a fine paper (180) and thin your paint with water up to 10%
It doesn`t really need to cover as you are using the same color and use a short pile roller rolling the wall vertically.

Since it`s emulsion it won`t go away in a few weeks time...if the mark is there just a few hours after applying it will stay there.

Make sure you roll out evenly and don`t push the roller too hard on the walls.

Thanks for your input. I have tried various methods including using a brush which was promising but for me too slow. In the end I got rid of the marks in the noticeable areas using a damp cloth and re rollered with thinned paint using Hamiltons Perfection Superlight sleeve. Results vary but are significantly better than before and in one area perfect (by my standards). Anyway job completed yesterday and carpet goes back Monday.

Well done. I think thinning the paint was key. The supaMatt does very little for the suction levels, ie the top coats you applied were being sucked in too quickly. I hate the stuff, preferring standard matt emulsion for mist coats.

I always advise thinning paint on this forum. Otherwise you get roller stipple. The only thing it won't cure is 'suede' where the plaster has been sanded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back