Paint is showing through please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Im painting in Dulux trade v matt, brilliant white. there was a stain on the wall, so I covered it with some white, oil based under coat.

The problem is the under coat is showing through, I have given it about 3 coats and you can still see it (all done with roller)

I dont really know what to do, the short pile roller does not really load it on that thick.

Any advise please.

D

Sponsored Links
"Stain Block" or Aluminium Primer.

What was the stain?

no its not the stain its the paint..... it was a new skim on some of the walls, and on the metal edges I placed some of the under coat, as emulsion does not stick that good to the metal.....I should have just PVA`d the edges, as the paint is showing through there too.... just a normal oil based undercoat..... its white, but darker than the bril white emulsion.....and its still there after 3 coats...... whats best?

Thanks

D

Maybe a couple of coats by brush, you can load a corner better that way. use the roller on a third coat to get the texture matching

Sponsored Links
Yep touch in with a brush first. Though I wonder if you are rolling out tooo much and not loading the roller often enough ie. not enough paint film.. I often use undercoat as a stain blocker and would have thought 3 coats of emulson would have been ample.. ... Roll it on like your not paying for it and you might get away with two coats in future...... ;)

Short pile roller? .try medium pile ;) plaster angle beads? I`ve not seen them primed :confused:

Fill over the obvious undercoat area, that is now emulsioned over. Once dry, rub down filler, then apply a thin coat of emulsion and let dry. Then, over coat with one further coat. Then coat the full wall(s)

Nige F said:
Short pile roller? .try medium pile ;) plaster angle beads? I`ve not seen them primed :confused:

Usually prime angle beads to give emulsion something to cling to also the galvanising gets scratched with plasterers trowl...so a primer or solvent u/c will stop rust.
Forgot to say when using u/c as a stain blocker, thin it down and feather in.
Its the heeeeeet....... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back