Paint finishes for beginners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a complete DIY novice, and I could do with some advice about paint finishes. I live in a top floor flat in a converted victorian townhouse. I'm about to get my first ever decorating done - my lounge, stairs and landing. The plaster / plasterboard is in pretty reasonable condition. The only thing is there are quite a few cracks that I want to get covered up. Mostly they are just hairline, e.g. around joints, plus there's a few slightly larger ones where there's been a bit of settlement in the past.

I had been looking at using something like Dulux Flex, but most people have been telling me that's an expensive waste of time, developed for novices like me! So if I go for a more standard finish, the options seem to be Soft Sheen, Matt, or Flat Matt. Currently it's painted in Matt, and I'm quite happy with the finish. I've had a recommendation to use Soft Sheen though - does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thinking about the cracks, would it be any more flexible than Matt? I don't want to see the cracks coming back if I can avoid it! Also, I've got small windows - would the extra sheen make it feel lighter, or would it not make that much difference? I notice all the trendy paint ranges seem to have flat matt finish at the moment - does anyone have any thoughts on using that? Also, does the colour being used make a difference to the choice? Currently the walls are white, and they are going to be painted white again or in light neutrals.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received! BTW for the woodwork I'm thinking of using Eggshell.

Sponsored Links
Flat finishes will hide any bad surfaces you may have..the more shene to a surface to light reflects off it and the more it shows up bad walls...

Eggshell is a good choice for woodwork for the same reasons.

Bright colours tend to highlight bad sufaces more than colours that have a hint of grey about them so neutrals should be fine.

If the walls and ceiling lines are a bit rough or uneven you might want to consider painting the walls ceilings and woodwork similar colours..avoid high contrasts...it also gives a softer effect.

hi

good project what you have there!

Just a couple of tips.

Flatt matt generally is more expensive as it is only sold in selected ranges from companies such as dulux and crown, and is harder to get in larger sizes e.g 5L. Flatt matt is basically a more washable matt, but i wouldnt bother too much with it price wise and selection. I would go with matt for the perfect tough finish around your flat. Paints such as dulux trade paints, are generally better as they contain vinyl, makes the paint do more per/sqm generally. Eggshell or satin are the best finishes also to go with matt. Generally colours are more readily available in satin, so be prepared to have eggshell mixed for you if you decided to get it , other than in white

hope that helps?

Sponsored Links
Dont go for soft sheen, its as bad as silk, and I'v heard rumours that Dulux are trying to cut down on the production of soft sheen, as over time they are hoping to discontinue it.

The flex paint you mentioned is more suitable for a newish plastered wall, its supposed to go with any surface cracks that appear, I have used it, lovely paint to use.

Dont forget though no matter what you go with, you must still do your prep, cut out any cracks, fill, sand, then dab some diluted paint on the filler with a brush a couple of times before you actually roll.

All Soft Sheens are virtualy Silk anyways............................

I think all paint companies have boobed on it.

Its K&B paints that come in Soft sheen nowadays. Can oly really get soft sheen emulsion mixed up, but i would go as far as saying its exactly like silk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back