Paint flakes and peels off - even after sanding!((

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dearest trusted fellows I am after your advice yet again!

I am painting the kitchen. Decided to scrape all the paint coz it was cracking and lifting in places, got myself a cushty scraper that just lifted strips of paint in one go but all the fun soon stopped when I realised some bits of paint isn't that easy to scrape off, those hard bits actually make up to almost half of the kitchen Walls. What I did then I scraped what I could, then sanded down what I couldnt 3 times (with coarse, medium and fine sanding sheets) and decided to give it a coat of paint (just s bit under the base kitchen units as a try). 2 hours later those bits I paint I couldn't scrape to a bare wall bubbled up and flaked(((( guessing this will be the case with the rest of the kitchen! I am in pieces, I must finish everything by Sunday afternoon as we still have some plumbing and electric works to do and kitchen fitter comes on Monday. This little bit of sanding an scraping took me all day and if it didn't peel then I would have finished on time but now I'm facing a potential flake up of the whole kitchen.

Please tell me why is this happening and what do I need to do?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It is probably happening either because the bare plaster wasn't mist coated before being painted, or because there is a problem with damp/condensation in your kitchen, or both.

Sand back to bare plaster again where paint is flaking, mist coat then seal with Zinsser Gardz before attempting to paint again.

If there is a source of damp/condensation, remedy it or the problem will recur.

There is no damp. No that I know off. And the weather was good. Perhaps the reason for flaking was down to me leaving all windows wide open to create a draft to aid the drying process? Maybe I should have closed all windows and put the heating on instead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back