Paint for Yellowing edges on kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I moved into a new build a few years ago and noticed over the last 1.5 years that some of the side strips on the kitchen cupboards have turned yellow. Some are not even near heat sources so am baffled how this has happened . I have tried various vinegar / bicarb solutions and nothing has helped so now will have to resort to paint. Can anyone tell me what exactly do I buy ? Do I need to sand the area and then prime or can I just paint ? Could you also recommend a paint ? I have attached a photo . The area of each strip is very small so I do not need a large tub of paint . Appreciate any advice , thanks

Attachments

• E2C5FC97-26AF-4E4C-BC6D-D722A68604A1.jpeg
    E2C5FC97-26AF-4E4C-BC6D-D722A68604A1.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 0C61D7CC-1AE7-487E-A41D-D5862FC88727.jpeg
    0C61D7CC-1AE7-487E-A41D-D5862FC88727.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 327
Sponsored Links
No do not smoke and do not allow anyone to smoke in the flat either

It looks like just the edging tape has discoloured on those end panels. If you can find a colour that matches, it might be worth just buying some new - it is applied easily, with a hot iron.

This kind of thing:
https://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-carisbrooke-painted-taupe-edging-tape-l-1m/96275_BQ.prd

If the cabinets are actually already painted (it doesn't look like in the images), finding a paint with suitable colour match and similar finish might be a better option, but if the cabinets are a standard pre-finished material (Formica/vinyl wrap) painting those edges might not be the best option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice . I will look into the strips as an option as well .

Thanks for the advice . I will look into the strips as an option as well .

Sorry, I forgot about mentioning which type of paint to use.
You would be best served with a high grip primer, to help the paint adhere, followed by something with a satin finish. Oil-based or water-based is your choice, and will depend on colours that are available, but oil-based is harder wearing. It's hard to tell what type of finish the cabinets have but, if they are shiny, you may need to substitute a satin finish for gloss.

Thanks again for that , advice is much appreciated ! I’ll look into the paint as feel it will be a better option for me .

If you can find an hidden surface, it might be worth trying scrubbing it with really fine wire wool. It might just be surface oxidation causing the discolouring, then something to prevent it re-oxidising.

Hi

I tried the wire wool but didn’t work . Thanks again for advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back