Paint hardwood double glazed windows from wood to white?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Could anyone let me know if this is a good idea please?

We have been renovating our house and have got around to the windows. Everyone else in the area has upvc windows, we have quite nice hardwood double glazed units that still seem to be operating ok.

The paint is starting to peel a bit in places so they need attention. I would really like to pain them white so...

...does anyone know if this ok to do?
...is it just the normal paint process it would be for any wood?
...any recommendations for types of paint to use that would do a good job?

Thanks in advance for any advice it is always appreciated!!!!

Cheers
Ed

Sponsored Links
is the existing coating paint, oil or varnish?

p.s. if you have genuine hardwood windows, I'm :eek: that you want to make them look like nasty plastic.

They are varnished at the moment.

They just look out of place as a brown colour, I don't want them to look like upvc just a white version of the wood(if that makes sense!)

you need to sand all the varnish off (paint does not stick well)

for outside joinery or hardwood, I strongly recommend Aluminium Wood primer, which is very durable and withstands weather.

While you are sanding, look out for any signs of decay , wood rot, or damp in the timber.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, they are pretty old windows, hard to say how old 1980s I would say as a guess. I haven't detected much rot but worried I will find some at some point. On to the sanding then, thanks for the help! :D

As John says, if the window is hardwood, then an aluminium primer is needed first after they are thoroughly sanded down. Then apply your undercoat and gloss in the same way. It might be better to use something like Dulux Weathershield undercoat and gloss to make it last longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back