Best paint for exterior hardwood windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am about to take out a whole lot of PvC and metal windows and fit some handmade hardwood (sapele) windows.
I really want to paint them with a Farrow & Ball colour but I am concerend that an eggshell paint will just flake.
I am after a matt finish - so no gloss. Ideally in some kind of discrete cream or fawn colour. (F&B Clunch?).

Can someone please recommend a paint system?
My windows will all go off to be spray painted - so no oil based paints (hard to clean down?).

I understand that water based acrylic paints are what I want to be using anyway.... flexible with the wood?
I am hoping to find an excellent quality paint with high colour pigment (south facing windows here!) but that will have a range of colours available. [Dulux Weathershield only seems to have 2 light, non white colours) .
I would rather pay more ££££ for a top quality product than risk flakey paint soon.

thanks,
Bugster

Sponsored Links
sadolin superdec gloss is water-based and suitable for outside.

although it is a gloss it isn't as glossy as usual oil-based gloss. they may even have a satin version.

it is not at all expensive.

best of all it doesn't flake. even on old weathered wood it lasts for years and years.

it doesn't require separate primer or undercoat.

it can be used on un-painted or painted wood and is very quick drying so several coats can be applied in one day.

when re-painting is required only very minimal preparation is usually needed, it's that good.

i don't think it comes in many colours, black, white and maybe red and brown. not too sure about the colours.

One thing to remember with hardwood windows is that they really need a primer coat of aluminium paint prior to any other paint going on them. Hard wood reacts differently to other softwood windows.

I`d get on to Sadolins and check out the suitability of spraying and the dilution etc. Also stick with one system. Ali primer is really for a 3 coat oil based "old school" system . And as my old dad used to say Bloody hardwood shouldn`t be painted at all :LOL: Oil it.

Sponsored Links
If you want an exterior eggshell finish try sikken satura, I'm pretty sure dulux weathershield comes in a satin version to, as for colour almost any trade center that mixes it's own colours will mix you up a F&B colour, but they will have to put it into white rather than a base, so it will not be a prefect match but pretty close, now the sikkens is oil not sure if a waterbased is available in the dulux range, I know you want waterbased, personally I prefer oil. So if you want an eggshell waterbased product you would probably have to go with superdec, they do various colours in the satin,check website http://www.sadolin.co.uk/professional/products/opaque/superdec/colours.php.
I'm guessing you would need a waterbased breatable stain blocking primer , like zinsser 123, but I would check with sadolin first. Personally I'd go with the sikkens satura with primer undercoat of sikkens onol.

Rich

Does anyone know how Bedec MSP compares with Sadolin Superdec please?

I am keen to go with the water based acrylic paint (to avoid chance of paint flaking) - which both these paints are. My local paint centre said to have a look at Bedec MSP being "the same as Superdec but lots cheaper".

I just wondered whether anyone had any thoughts on this.

b.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back