paint on cast iron down pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just painted a cast iron down pipe using Wickes universal primer followed by Farrow &Ball eggshel. 2 days later thers are lots of little vertical cracks in the paint. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
First off, what was the original finish on the downpipe, these were usually painted black, sometimes white, and a few years ago, a 'bitumastic' paint was used a lot. This had a slight Tar smell and hung around for days.

If you have painted the downpipe then I am guessing you will now want to paint it again so all I would do, as it will have had a couple of days to dry off, is to use a good 100 grit paper and rub the whole pipe down again, I actually use an 80 grit sanding mesh to sand a metal downpipe, but if this is a one off job, then good quality sandpaper will do.

After cutting the existing paint back, blow out the dust from the wall mounting brackets or pipe joints, I use an old bike pump to do this, then wash the pipe down with warm water and sugar soap, allow to dry out, coffee break!!

I would then apply a coat of zinnzer 'Cover stain' which is good to cover any trace of the old bitumastic paint, or problem under paints, I add a second coat as this paint, although spirit based, dries in about an hour. If you are using Farrow & Ball, are you using their exterior eggshell? if so, do use an undercoat, then the f & b. Sorry this advice is suggesting 4 coats of paint, but if you want the job to look nice for a couple of years!!!!!

You should have just redid it with bitumen paint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I never expected bitumen paint. The down pipe is only about 20 years old at a guess. That explaines why the previous 2 colours were flaking off in big lumps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back