Paint on Vapour control barrier

Its not some PVA crap, its a two part epoxy coating.

Ring 'em up, talk to them, let them convince you if you're not happy its their product. Speak to a bloke called Eric Clarke.

Sponsored Links
Its not some PVA crap, its a two part epoxy coating.
Didnt say it was, but I was saying it was designed to do the job of sealing concrete, rather than repairing a worn painted floor.

Most other epoxy based concrete 'repair' stuff ive seen nearly goes on with a trowel rather than a brush and clearly this isnt the the same as what I, and proberbly others, are familuar with.

Daniel

Anyway, the products origanal intended use aside, I assume you have used it for this task? How did it fair? Did it go on well? Performance? Comparison to the other two products?

Daniel

I've specified this before where a brush applied VB was required. http://www.restorationuk.com/epoxy-resin-flooring-coating-paint.html[/QUOTE]

The OP is looking for a way of preventing floorboards in the loft becoming damp on the underside, not in his garage... ;)
And if you knew anything about the product you would know that's exactly what it will do.

Sorry i thought that you had misread the thread. my bad :oops:

Just out of interest, what would the benefit to the OP of using a product that is 3 times the cost of eggshell?

I still remain unconvinced that problem in the attic is the result of moisture penetrating through the existing painted ceilings but I admit that I am no expert in this area. Did you recently use the product that you are recommending to cure the same problem?

Sponsored Links
Anyway, the products origanal intended use aside, I assume you have used it for this task? How did it fair? Did it go on well? Performance? Comparison to the other two products?

Daniel
I specify products for commercial use, it was used in a listed building which required a transparent product to prevent moisture seeping into the structure, AFAIK its still doing its job. I still have the letter from the director of the company claiming it was suitable for that purpose which satisfied the Conservation Officer and the (extremely) picky owners of the building. Using paint or other inferior product was not even considered. The only other product considered was RIW but given that that's grey or black it didn't go down too well with the owners.

Daniel
I specify products for commercial use, it was used in a listed building which required a transparent product to prevent moisture seeping into the structure, AFAIK its still doing its job. I still have the letter from the director of the company claiming it was suitable for that purpose which satisfied the Conservation Officer and the (extremely) picky owners of the building. Using paint or other inferior product was not even considered. The only other product considered was RIW but given that that's grey or black it didn't go down too well with the owners.

Sorry freddymercurystwin, i am not trying to be obtuse but are you saying that was used on a ceiling to prevent condensation in an attic or not? I am more than happy to believe that the product works but I still don't see what the advantage over WB eggshell would be.

If you are saying that WB eggshell/BIN/OB UC will allow moisture to pass through when used in the way that i am recommending then i shall stop recommending them.

Additionally are you definitively saying that, in your opinion, the moisture in the attic is seeping through the ceilings?

I don't want to see the OP paying an extra £50 per room to seal ceilings only to discover that he still has the same problem.

The product was specifically used to prevent any moisture whatsoever passing through into the structure and was applied to the floor walls and soffit. AFAIK the product does that so when applied to a ceiling it will prevent any moisture passing through. It will work as a liquid vapour barrier. I have not revisited the project to ask if there have been problems with moisture entering the structure and have not had that reported back to me so cannot say 100% hand on heart that it is or has been 100% effective.

I suspect you would not be able to find Dulux or any other paint manufacturer prepared to put it in writing that their product can be used as a vapour barrier per se. They may be happy to say it is effective as such over the phone but doubt any would be prepared to state as much in writing. That is why it was unsuitable for us. If the OP wishes to try conventional paint and you have been recommending it and have found it effective in such circumstances so be it. One cannot argue with that.

There are nowadays some building Inspectors who expect a vapour barrier to be installed immediately above ceilings whether with foil backed plasterboard or a separate membrane in domestic ceilings immediately beneath a loft space to ensure this problem cannot occur. Personally I'm not convinced its a general problem, I've surveyed many a loft and never once seen condensation occurring within the insulation immediately above a loft but there have been a couple of threads on here in the last few years whereby the OP's appear to have experienced this so one must conclude that it can occur. Every single house is completely different in terms of how its air movement works there are so many factors literally dozens if not hundreds that sometimes it is impossible to say exactly what should be done to prevent condensation.

I would be meticulously going through JohnD's sticky's and trying all of that before I concluded that a VB was required at ceiling level.

But, if it was me and I had done my research and concluded that a VB was required and a surface applied one was required I would be sourcing the best one I could find.

Thanks freddymercurystwin for clarifying things.

Just out of interest, with regard to the building you used it in, on the floor and walls, was it to stop moisture pushing outwards or being sucked in?

tnx

I don't mean to sound like an knob but cannot disclose the exact nature of the project, it would be too easy for someone (if they wanted to) to find out which project it was and for whom I work for and we all like a bit of privacy.

Suffice to say the project involved fitting an aquatic tank (think salt water swimming pool size) within a basement room (think church hall size) of a prestigious listed building with a highly wet and corrosive atmosphere, it was used as a back-up to the insulated cladding that enclosed the space to prevent any of the moisture getting out and seeping into the structure. So it was applied to the wet side of the structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back