Vapour barrier with laminate plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen laminate plasterboards (i.e. with insulation attached) with integrated vapour check/barrier. However I have also seen them without the vapour barrier and in fact I can get some of these cheap at the moment.

I have been advised that I can put a poly sheet vapour barrier on the cold side of the insulation (i.e. between timber battens and laminate) but this goes against what I thought was proper - I always thought the vapour barrier should be on the warm side of the insulation.

Assuming I have been ill-advised is there anything I can do to stop moisture penetration? Would using a drywall sealer on top of the plasterboard work? I suppose I could add a poly sheet vapour barrier on top of the plasterboard then add another layer of plasterboard but this will add to the overall thickness which I am reluctant to do.

Won't fixing the whole lot to timber battens with screws mean that the vapour barrier is compromised anyway? It is phenolic insulation which i understand is good at keeping moisture penetration localised. Any comments?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back